new .mdl frames when you change your weapon

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
KOLIAN_bel

new .mdl frames when you change your weapon

Post by KOLIAN_bel »

I want to add new frames to my weapon, when i change to it.
Like when i click 6 appear grenade launcher and start frame "reloading"
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Quake weapon models don't have reloading animations. Unfortunately, the entire game was rushed in a very unpolished way in many aspects, weapons animations and placement being one of this (according John Romero, weapons were not supposed to be placed in the bottom center of screen, and there should be some weapon changing animations, but all these little things were chopped off from the final todo list). So, you have the following alternatives:

1) creating new v_* models containing these additional frames; or

2) editing existing v_* models to add yourself the desired frames.

There is a very limited number of editors supporting the obsolete Quake 1 .mdl format. Personally, I use QuArK 4.07 to tweak and/or add new frames to existing models, but I won't advice you to do the same since it's a very limited mesh editor (you cannot copy/paste portions of the meshes, and it lacks a "free hand" view of the model). So, when I need one of these things I use StudioMDx. Most people here prefers to convert the model to .md2 and use another tools, that I can't unfortunately point to you since I don't use that.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Well, some people actually do think qME is fairly competent :P
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Sajt wrote:Well, some people actually do think qME is fairly competent :P
I won't argue, I am just too lazy and so used to the QuArK + StudioMDx combo that I simply hated qME when I tried it. I was expecting FrikaC model editor to finally bring something that could motivate me to change, but looks like it won't happen after all :roll:
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

qME is great once you get used to it. Namely get used to no undo, no copy/paste/duplicate tools... :) And that ctrl-s is not save.

If you really need to you can import/export with Milkshape to duplicate stuff. However qME has the best vertex editing interface I've used, especially for (qME 3.1) only taking up one pane (instead of four with three 2D panes). And it has a decent front-back texture mapping utility although sometimes it's hard to keep the texcoords lined up symmetrically. And it has decent skeletal animation tools (the IK stuff seemed useless though), no weighting though.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Aye, qme still has the best vertex editing available, real nice for low-poly models like the ones you have in quake :)
I was once a Quake modder
KOLIAN_bel

Post by KOLIAN_bel »

Well guy's...
We speak about new .mdl frames :D
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

qme qme qme :(

/me wishes a blender mdl import/export script existed so we don't have to be confined to limited buggy outdated shareware
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

CheapAlert wrote:qme qme qme :(

/me wishes a blender mdl import/export script existed so we don't have to be confined to limited buggy outdated shareware
/me looks to FrikaC hoping to convince him to finish his legendary model editor :P
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

MOM HE'S LOOKING AT ME AGAIN