Scary needed

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
ajay

Scary needed

Post by ajay »

Been playing around with shambler code to try to make it scarier, more intelligent and generally raise the tension. The problem, apart from getting the coding right, is that the model isn't very scary. It's great when moving slowly and close up, but when it's chasing the player it looks a bit waddling and cartoon-y. Some of that's pathfinding, but a lot of it's the animation. I've tried some of the shambler replacements but to be honest, they're not any, or much, of an improvement.
Does anyone know of any with better/scarier animation, or other models that kinda 'fit' quake or scary monster type games?
frag.machine

Re: Scary needed

Post by frag.machine »

The shambler would look more menacing (but I reckon less Quakey) with more feral animations for walk an run, maybe something inspired in the gorillas. Make the arms more massive and a bit desproportional to be more like a gorilla, but clawing the ground instead of using the back of the hands. And the idle animation could have an alt where it smells the air searching for a prey... That would improve in the scary quesite.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

giving it a shoulder block animation like a quarterback charging would do wonders.
As you guys said, the model isnt really the problem, its the animations.
Any animation to make it look more like its alive, thinking and has intentions to kill you dead would help a lot.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Players sneak around a shambler if they can to find the best defensive position before attack. How about an idle function that includes shifting weight from foot-to-foot at random times to fake-out the player that the monster has been alerted?

One of the non-scary things than can happen with a shambler is poor map placement. Give it plenty of room to move around and don't provide the player with a comfy camping spot. Force the player to keep dodging around columns or crates.
Bluntz

Post by Bluntz »

I think it having no eyes has a lot to do with it too.Nothing is scarier that some spooky eyes.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Animations alone won't fix it. The problem is the animation system.

Dogs also have the same problem; they look really wacky when turning around.

The only way to fix that kind of stuff is with animation composition. Either through skeletal animation, or with segmented models (but segmented models would look bad anyway).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

The best thing for making the shambler more scary/creepy is playing in very low resolution.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
dwere

Post by dwere »

I wish people would stop with the "big powerful monster = gorilla" stereotype. Thank god they avoided it in Doom 3, giving the hellknight more of a deformed human appearance. Gorillas aren't scary.

By the way, a lot of horror designs don't have eyes. Death stares are scary, but so are weird featureless faces.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

dwere wrote: By the way, a lot of horror designs don't have eyes. Death stares are scary, but so are weird featureless faces.
I agree. Our brains are wired in a way to find human traces familiar and thus less menacing. Wrong body proportions and the absence of eyes are things that make something inside the mind scream "DANGER!". Play with the size and format of the mouth and teeth (personally I find the blood stains around the mouth kinda cliché).
I suggest you take a look in the Quake 2 mutant for inspiration (IMHO a great monster model that would fit nicely in Quake with a new skin).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I think sounds have a great role too. Imagine shambler coming towards you making a dark roar sound every sec more intense as he's coming near you.. for example.. I always found more scary fiend than shambler, but of course it's just my opinion. My scariest monster I've ever seen is revenant for doom 2, the wierd walking, the stature, the yell when he sees player, wow!
And ogre coming and yelling from nowhere is scary too! :)

I think dimensions count too. I mean, I personally found huge enemies less scary than big ones. Probably shambler dimensions are too big form my taste.

Regarding eyes argument: I'm not so sure no-eyes monsters are scarier than eyed ones. Take a look at Beksinki's works (Nahuel make me know his great works! :biggrin: ): most of his "creatures" have eyes but, wow, they're super scary! :biggrin:
dwere wrote:I wish people would stop with the "big powerful monster = gorilla" stereotype. Thank god they avoided it in Doom 3, giving the hellknight more of a deformed human appearance. Gorillas aren't scary.
Yeah, agree.
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Little off topic: this guy really knows how to make an angry shambler!! :biggrin: Other Quake characters are awesome too! Good artist

This is very good too! :biggrin:
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine