How to connect vertices in QME?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
OneManClan

How to connect vertices in QME?

Post by OneManClan »

Hi all,

I took the top half of deathc1, and added it to the bottom (walking) half of rockrun, and it looks kinda like this.

Q: How do I attach the two halves?

thanks,

OneManClan
Last edited by OneManClan on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
frag.machine

Re: How to connect vertices in QME?

Post by frag.machine »

Don't forget the knot in the end! :lol:

Okay, seriously now: I never did this kind of frankenmodel in QME before (just in QuArK, and trust me: it was awful. I felt like Dr. Frankenstein, doing something forbidden by Mother Nature laws).
I use QME basically to group/ungroup frames/skins and for its peculiar light mode in textured view. Most of my editing is made in QuArK, usually from the scratch.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
OneManClan

Post by OneManClan »

lol! :P

I tried to edit the rockrun animation, but it seemed really difficult:

Q: Is this the 'correct'/ optimal technique?:

1. select all the polygons of the left hand and make it a new object
2. move the pivot point to where the joint would be
3. rotate the pivot so that the angles let you...
4. use the rotate tool to move the object into position
5. Look around the joint, and manually move any 'unnatural' looking vertices, so the new position looks undistorted/unnatural/not messed up
6. select all the polygons of the left hand and forearm, make it a new object
7. repeat

Steps 3 and 4 seem the hardest. Wrist rotation was simple enough, but elbow and shoulder rotations really distorted the thing, and even major surgery with moving vertices didn't help. I'm sure with practice my pivot placement and rotation 'technique' would improve, but I already have a complete perfectly positioned upper body - the deathc1 position. I've tried to rtfm, but came across nothing about QME connecting vertices.

It might be simpler to do the work in blender though I haven't managed to install the mdl exporter...

Thanks for the response.
OneManClan

Post by OneManClan »

SOLVED!:
1. Select the vertices to be merged
2. Right click, and from the menu:
3. Select Merge!!!

or just .... Ctl-M

:D
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

why why WHY are you still using qme for model editing???
you've downloaded and installed blender, and spent some time familiarizing yourself with it.

wasting any more time in qme is going backwards when you could be learning the right tool for the job.