New Quake assets...

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
r00k

New Quake assets...

Post by r00k »

I know this is a bit premature, though there's a talented modeler using blender to accomplish the (would-be) impossible of recreating mid-poly model replacements for all Quake entities.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1016024/Quakem ... tiview.gif heres a preview of his player model
and heres the crostpost link over on quakeone.com http://quakeone.com/130293-post1.html
dude cranks em out fast too!
taniwha

Re: New Quake assets...

Post by taniwha »

Cool. Even more cool, he's using my mdl addon :). I could tell because of the script in the text editor.
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

how many tri's is that new model?
r00k

Post by r00k »

not totally sure but he ("capnbubs") said he is keeping the polycount to conform with original mdl standards
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

While I agree about the model quality, I am not sure if the fact he's using the original skins could be a problem, legally speaking. Nothing that a talented 2D artist couldn't fix, of course, but still.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

it doesnt seem that way, the legs already have more sides usually in my experience the lower you go on a model , the lower you want the polies, as you reach the head usually you want to raise how many tri's you use. but these models do look very nice.
stoleYourBike

Post by stoleYourBike »

awesome job! really well animated - absolutely true to the original but slightly improved

grunt is 774 pol
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

stoleYourBike wrote:awesome job! really well animated - absolutely true to the original but slightly improved

grunt is 774 pol

Which I think is a good compromise between the spartan limits of DOS Quake (according Carmack, below 300 was OK) and modern engines and hardware.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

frag.machine wrote:While I agree about the model quality, I am not sure if the fact he's using the original skins could be a problem, legally speaking. Nothing that a talented 2D artist couldn't fix, of course, but still.
Shouldn't be a problem if it's a mod for the registered version of Quake, and not some "OH LET'S REPAINT QUAKE FROM SCRATCH AND CALL IT A NEW QUAKE GAME" thing some have tried.
i should not be here
r00k

Post by r00k »

woot a blender vet speaks!
and someone with gpl skill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... IFJLMyUwrg
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

r00k wrote:woot a blender vet speaks!
and someone with gpl skill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... IFJLMyUwrg
When the Generations mod was foxed I remember Todd Hollenshead citing how they were OK with some assets recreating/reimaginating their IP's from scratch (and he gave the Cyberdemon model as an example, because it was a completely new model, skin included), but that they wouldn't allow for example DOOM maps ported to Quake 2 *and* using original DOOM textures. Of course, there was more than this behind the whole C&S story (less than a year later they announced Quake Arena, which basically was very similar to the Generations concept), but I think you got the idea: if you're not distributing their assets as part of your mod (and even an old skin in a new model can fall in this situation) and you're modding for their games, they'll tolerate you "borrowing" their IPs. At least that's how things worked before Bethesda, so of course they may be even more restrictive nowadays.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Last time I checked, that modeled Quake guy up there with the quakeguy skin is designed for Quake. Are you trying to tell me he's designed for something else?

I don't see the issue you're bringing up. Generations's infractions were from direct conversions from other games (most notably the Quake maps which were merely translated to Q2BSP directly, complete with the original textures and sound)

Todd Hollenshead brought up the same issue about rampant Q2->Q3BSP (and some Q1->Q2->Q3BSP) individual map conversions for Quake III Arena in early February 2000. It's only a problem when you crossover assets directly from their other games

The Doom community also faces the same problem of porting Doom2's SSG and monsters to Doom in PWADs (or at least just including the original sprites and sound, as the Doom code already has all Doom2 stuff since 1.666), however, unfortunately, due to the spritey nature and the mainstream appeal to the young demographic for being all hell satany (nabbing the pretentious little metalhead crowd), the issue of copyrighted works ripped akin to a 'sprite database' desensitizes everything.

Be glad Quake isn't like this (other than the PSP Quake community for the most part).
i should not be here
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

can someone convert these to obj? id like to look at the wireframes.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Blender is free and he uses it to create them. The .blend files are included in the download. You can look at the wireframes in Blender really easily.

/me hides the wad collection.

I wish copyright was not such a bitch. Remixing game content is awesome and fun and it would be so great if it was legal.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

id rather not have to download / install a modeling program i'm not going to use. never mind then i suppose.