TGA models?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
franqutrass

TGA models?

Post by franqutrass »

Hello!, I want to know how can I use TGA images as models in quake 2, i've seen this kind of "modeling" in RetroBlazer, but thats quake 1, so I need this but for quake 2.
hello
leileilol

Re: TGA models?

Post by leileilol »

What Retroblazer does is use .spr files, then use TGA images for those sprites as high resolution texture replacements.

You could do this in Quake2 if your renderer did the same for supporting TGA loading over PCX files.
i should not be here
SimplySerenity

Post by SimplySerenity »

leileilol wrote:What Retroblazer does is use .spr files, then use TGA images for those sprites as high resolution texture replacements.

You could do this in Quake2 if your renderer did the same for supporting TGA loading over PCX files.
Can their be animations with this way as well? I like the way it's done, but I'd rather have animations as well.
Seven

Post by Seven »

As far as I know, you can do frame animations with sprites and if your engine supports replacement textures,
you can then use the higher res textures for the sprites.

Engine support for interpolation between your single sprite animation frames will most likely not exist.
Without interpolation it will look not fluent. You´d have to make your frame steps very small.

You can see some game mods that still uses sprite monsters (the ones from Hexen, Heretic, etc).
Be aware that sprites are flat and I dont know if directional sprites are supported by Quake engines.

The only sprites, that are still left in vanilla Quake are the explosions and air bubbles.
And at least the explosions are animated too.
So yes, generally speaking, sprites can be "animated", if you want to call it this way.

There are also other threads with this topic in this forum...
SimplySerenity

Post by SimplySerenity »

Oh sorry, I didn't know there were other threads about this. >.< Thanks for the info Seven.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

IIRC Quake 1 does support directional sprites, try opening them in Fimg2 and there should be various settings available regarding the sprite's behaviour.
r00k

Post by r00k »

This is pretty much what I do for simPle items using a sprite as a place holder and a hires image to be used in game