Help: Model texture too 'big'?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
OneManClan

Help: Model texture too 'big'?

Post by OneManClan »

[DISCLAIMER: this is my first foray into modelling so please don't hesitate to dumb down all explanations]

SHORT VERSION:
Q: When downloading (my new) models from a (FTEQW) server, why is EZQuake saying
" Host Error: Mod_LoadAliasModel: Model <modelname> has a skin taller than 480"
.. even though I used modelconv to set the texture to 256 x 256?

LONG VERSION
Hey people,

I've delved into the world of mdl editing using QME (yes I know it sucks, but it was there, I haven't figured out what alternative prog to use, and in either case, using a non-quake editor seems to require complex procedures to make a mdl quake-compatible)... anyway, I've edited/made the basic .mdls I need (based on/heavily edited shamblers, fiends and ogres), have animated them and put them into the qc, they load up and work perfectly with FTEQW Client, BUT when connecting to the test server with EZQuake, we get the message: "GL_Upload8: image too big". Apparently this means the texture size (IIUC the texture is stored in some kind of image file internally, in the .mdl) is too big length/width wise. I looked in QME View->Model Property Editor, 'Edit Model Properties, and under 'skinsize' (which I assume is the same as texture size (?)) it shows a size of 2280 x 117).

I used modelconv (thanks Schbirid) to set the texture to 256 x 256, but EZQuake still disconnects when downloading, but now it says:
" Host Error: Mod_LoadAliasModel: Model <modelname> has a skin taller than 480"

Q1: What do I do?
Q2: Why would QME (a Quake specific mdl editor) allow me to create a mdl that Quake (EZQuake) couldn't load? (btw FTE client does load it)
Q3: Can this be fixed/prevented from happening within QME?

Please advise.

thanks,

OneManClan
ps. Bear in mind I'm just starting to get (almost) competent w QuakeC and simply don't have time to become an expert in mdls as well, so if a kind Guru out there can fix this quickly, without breaking a sweat, it would be much appreciated
Here is an example of a mdls EZQuake is complaining about:

The original one (made with QME) which generates the error "GL_Upload8: image too big":
https://rapidshare.com/files/1198268321 ... mbler3.mdl

The one with the texture changed (by modelconv) to 256 x 256, which generates the error "Host Error: Mod_LoadAliasModel: Model <modelname> has a skin taller than 480" :
https://rapidshare.com/files/2908242847 ... ler3_f.mdl
frag.machine

Re: Help: Model texture too 'big'?

Post by frag.machine »

Well, your original model uses a skin 2180 pixels wide (checked that on QuArK). Your problem is very simple, in fact: QME doesn't handle UV mapping in a very optimized way, and for every primitive you added to the model it simply stretched the skin width to accommodate it. Also, I cut off a bunch of triangles that appeared not having any defined function in the current animations (you'll need to add it back if they belonged to some new animation). You can download the fixed version here.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
OneManClan

Post by OneManClan »

Hey frag.machine!
frag.machine wrote:Well, your original model uses a skin 2180 pixels wide (checked that on QuArK).
Yea.. but what about the second one - that was supposed to be 256 x 256? Why didn't that load?
frag.machine wrote:Your problem is very simple, in fact: QME doesn't handle UV mapping in a very optimized way, and for every primitive you added to the model it simply stretched the skin width to accommodate it.
So there was nothing I could have done (ie within QME)??
frag.machine wrote:Also, I cut off a bunch of triangles that appeared not having any defined function in the current animations (you'll need to add it back if they belonged to some new animation).
Can I ask how you did this? What tools did you use? I googled but didn't find anything I could rtfm..
frag.machine wrote:You can download the fixed version here.
Thank you (!) I checked it out (in QME) and the texture size is MUCH smaller, and the mdl looks exactly the same. However it still wont load in EZQuake. The error (when connecting to the server) is weird..:
  • downloading siesta_shambler3_fixed.mdl
    server permissions deny loading file
    siesta_shambler3_fixed.mdl
    The required model file 'siesta_shambler3_fixed.mdl' could not be found or downloaded.
And quits in the console.

I assumed it was something I did, though FTEQW client doesn't have that error. The mdl (in FTE) is however not visible ... but I think its because when you edited the texture, the mdl was repositioned *under* the grid thing that the model was standing/positioned on in QME.

Please advise.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

OneManClan wrote:Hey frag.machine!
frag.machine wrote:Well, your original model uses a skin 2180 pixels wide (checked that on QuArK).
Yea.. but what about the second one - that was supposed to be 256 x 256? Why didn't that load?
Hmm, didn't bother to check the second one TBH. It opens fine in QME and QuArK (4.07, I prefer to use this ancient version, never got used with newer ones).
OneManClan wrote:
frag.machine wrote:Your problem is very simple, in fact: QME doesn't handle UV mapping in a very optimized way, and for every primitive you added to the model it simply stretched the skin width to accommodate it.
So there was nothing I could have done (ie within QME)??
As I said, I am more used to QuArK 4.07, but I'm sure you can select and move the skin vertexes around the skin as I did using QME.
OneManClan wrote:
frag.machine wrote:Also, I cut off a bunch of triangles that appeared not having any defined function in the current animations (you'll need to add it back if they belonged to some new animation).
Can I ask how you did this? What tools did you use? I googled but didn't find anything I could rtfm..
QuArK 4.07 to add/cut/play with vertexes, tris and skin mapping (I can hear ceriux and others screaming and running, but hey, I'm not a modeller, I just torture meshes :P ). An ancient program called StudioMDx (has a good 3d viewer and cut/copy/paste mesh funcionality that is lacking in my QuArK version), and QME for the rest.
OneManClan wrote:
frag.machine wrote:You can download the fixed version here.
Thank you (!) I checked it out (in QME) and the texture size is MUCH smaller, and the mdl looks exactly the same. However it still wont load in EZQuake. The error (when connecting to the server) is weird..:
  • downloading siesta_shambler3_fixed.mdl
    server permissions deny loading file
    siesta_shambler3_fixed.mdl
    The required model file 'siesta_shambler3_fixed.mdl' could not be found or downloaded.
And quits in the console.
Hmm, not sure what can be wrong. Maybe the long file name ? Have you tried to rename and use the original shambler.mdl to test it ? I don't have any experience with EZQuake.
OneManClan wrote:I assumed it was something I did, though FTEQW client doesn't have that error. The mdl (in FTE) is however not visible ... but I think its because when you edited the texture, the mdl was repositioned *under* the grid thing that the model was standing/positioned on in QME.
Please advise.
This can be easily fixed in QME changing the model origin. I think there's a panel with the model properties in QME to edit it.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)