DarkPlaces - Model Shadows.

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Qrv

DarkPlaces - Model Shadows.

Post by Qrv »

Hello,

Here I have a few tree models, q3 format. As you can see, they load in-game fine, however, two main problems.

First thing to notice, the leaves are pretty fullbright. Here's the shader currently being played with for the leaves:

Code: Select all

models/mapobjects/oak/oakblaetter
{
	//cull none
	cull disable
	nopicmip
	dpshadow
	{
		map models/mapobjects/oak/oakblaetter.tga
		alphaFunc GE128
		//depthWrite
		//rgbGen vertex
		rgbGen lightDiffuse
	}
}
The comment out parts are from the original shader, as I've adjusted it some to how I understand the shader should be, for non-full bright leaves.

Also notice, that "dpshadow" is enabled in the shader, which leads me to my next issue.

In the second screenshot, you'l see a lack of shadows for leaves.
Although the second screenshot doesnt show it, with dpshadow enabled inside the shader, the leaves polygon casts shadows, ie, you get a square shaped shadow, not leaf shapes.

Can DarkPlaces not cast RT Shadows using the alpha layer of textures as a mask? And also, is there anyway to sort out the lighting for the leaves, so their not practically fullbright?

( DarkPlaces needs more, correct and up-to-date documentation. -.- )
I'm looking for a Mapper, Modeller/Animator and a Sound effect/Music person, to work on an exciting project. PM Me here, or catch me on IRC for further info.
Nahuel

Re: DarkPlaces - Model Shadows.

Post by Nahuel »

I do not understand many about shaders and darkplaces suppport. But for a texture with channel alpha this shader will work correctly (no fullbright) . Maybe this shader has innecesary lines :oops:, I do not know how works the "dpshadow".

{	

{
	map models/mapobjects/oak/oakblaetter
		blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
		alphaFunc GE128
		depthWrite
		rgbGen identity
	}

{
      	map $lightmap
      	rgbGen identity
      	blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
      	depthFunc equal
	}

}
I do not know if darkplaces can cast shadows with a poligon with a texture with chanel alpha, or some transparency. I didn´t get it at the time :)
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
Qrv

Post by Qrv »

Hmm, thanks for that Nahuel, it's still not quite right. I'm starting to wonder if its just DarkPlaces and not the shader, prehaps my expectations for DP engine is a bit beyond what it can actually do, I dunno.

Shader used:

{
	cull none
	//cull disable
	//nopicmip
	//dpmeshcollisions
	//dpshadow
	{
		map models/mapobjects/oak/oakblaetter.tga
		blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
		alphaFunc GE128
		depthWrite
		//rgbGen vertex
		//rgbGen lightDiffuse
		rgbGen identity
	}

{
		map $lightmap
		rgbGen identity
		blendfunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
		depthFunc equal
	}
}

As for "dpshadow" in shaders, Nahuel, it's supposed to allow 'stuff' to cast shadows. One usage for it, is to allow invisible brushes to cast shadows.
Taken from the DP Wiki:

textures/common/shadowmesh
{
 dpshadow
}
Such a shader should be invisible in-game, but cast shadows. I suppose it's there for strange circumstances, like to recreate the "Q" logo on the ground, in one of iD's maps, but the sky doesnt show the Q in brushes. I'm sure it can be pretty usefull with some imaginative usage. Theres also "dpnoshadow" you can stick in your shaders, to do the opposite. Cast no shadows.
I'm looking for a Mapper, Modeller/Animator and a Sound effect/Music person, to work on an exciting project. PM Me here, or catch me on IRC for further info.
Sami

Post by Sami »

Take a look at the alphashadow shader keyword - it should do what you want (i.e. use the alpha channel when working out shadows rather than the opaque polygons).
Qrv

Post by Qrv »

I thought alphashadow only applied when using the standard q3bsp lightmapping?
If i recall correct, thats exactly what it's for.

Unless your telling me DP has something like dpalphashadow? I've never heard of such a thing, but alot of DP's stuff seems undocumented so, it might exist.

But the lighting im using here is the Real Time lighting within DarkPlaces, to get these shadows.