simplifying mdl model (quake portal gun)

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
siska.robert

simplifying mdl model (quake portal gun)

Post by siska.robert »

Hello community,

I'm developing quake 1 modification Portal Gun. www.moddb.com/mods/quake-portal-gun

and I'm looking for some 3d modeller, who would help me with _one_ model.

My mod already has Portal Gun model, but it is unsuitable for quake as there are too many polygons in it and it crashes lots of engines.
I got this model by converting some half-life 2 model to quake's MDL...

http://int21h.ic.cz/valvegun.mdl

Could some of you please create some simpler (low-poly) version of the portal gun? Anything!

Please, let me know. Thanks.

RobS
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I could try, but if I've success I'll send you the original .blend file. I don't want to mess with .mdl file (very outdated and awful today, IMO) ! :)

EDIT: Requirements (max number of polys, textured/untextured, animated - which animations)?
siska.robert

Post by siska.robert »

toneddu2000 wrote:I could try, but if I've success I'll send you the original .blend file. I don't want to mess with .mdl file (very outdated and awful today, IMO) ! :)
That's alright, I think I can convert almost anything into mdl. And I agree it's terribly outdated format, but it's all that good-ol' quake can do :)
toneddu2000 wrote:EDIT: Requirements (max number of polys, textured/untextured, animated - which animations)?
My qME editor says, that valvegun.mdl has 1614 vertices and 3024 triangles. Quake's Lightning gun for example has 104 vertices and 172 triangles...That's where I'd like to get :)
And no animations nor textures are needed. I can finish that on my own, I guess.

Thanks for trying to help!
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

:o
It´s a great mod!
i use dp and runs very fine!
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
siska.robert

Post by siska.robert »

Nahuel wrote::o
It´s a great mod!
Thanks! :)
Did you try the 2.1 version? That one uses original Rocket launcher model temporarily. The original release from 2008 was reported not to work in dp, because of that huge portal gun model... (but I never managed to run dp on reasonable fps by myself...)

BTW: I have some future plans with this mod. Maybe I'll try Gyro, adding some Portal game elements (cubes, buttons, pellets...), etc.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Pain Keep's chain lightning gun has a similar looking 4 prong layout on its design and it spins

but eh, I would recommend NOT BLATANTLY COPYING VALVE GAMES. They will take action. Don't think they won't because "its freeware we not make moenys it free advertising for them"! OH THEY WILL!

by the way, valve software in general is considered evile around these parts
i should not be here
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Quake's Lightning gun for example has 104 vertices and 172 triangles...That's where I'd like to get :)
Well, let's remain on 600 / 1000 triangles, because under that limit is very difficult to make something usable!

have you some image to take inspiration from?
siska.robert

Post by siska.robert »

Damn! Thanks for warning leileilol. I really thought, that while I'm not making money on their idea it's cool.

I really hate this world of lawyers and shit...
My idea was to eventually make some test chambers and stuff, but now my enthusiasm is gone...

I guess, I'll just focus on the code...

And as for the gun model I was asking for: It doesn't have to look like valve's model. I just want something original, because I was accused once for using models from other people's mods (with credits!)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

siska.robert wrote: I just want something original, because I was accused once for using models from other people's mods (with credits!)
yeah things get funny and hypocritical when people assume copyrighted stuff made by companies as some free public domain takings.

you could still make something like 'holes!!! its about holes!!! and whats in them!', have no Glados but a redneck instead obsessing about holes, and the portal gun would be a space shovel making interstellar holes. and since they're holes you can handwave the lack of portal rendering.
i should not be here
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

siska.robert wrote:
Nahuel wrote::o
It´s a great mod!
Thanks! :)
Did you try the 2.1 version? That one uses original Rocket launcher model temporarily. The original release from 2008 was reported not to work in dp, because of that huge portal gun model... (but I never managed to run dp on reasonable fps by myself...)

BTW: I have some future plans with this mod. Maybe I'll try Gyro, adding some Portal game elements (cubes, buttons, pellets...), etc.
i use the 2.1 version!
I believe that if you want to do the exclusive mod for darkplaces (that has many advantages) the best format for models of many polys (not so many but up to 10000 it has no problems) is the md3.
:) :)
siska.robert

Post by siska.robert »

Nahuel wrote: i use the 2.1 version!
I believe that if you want to do the exclusive mod for darkplaces (that has many advantages) the best format for models of many polys (not so many but up to 10000 it has no problems) is the md3.
:) :)
That's exactly, what I don't want to do :) I want my mod running on vanilla.
siska.robert

Post by siska.robert »

leileilol wrote:yeah things get funny and hypocritical when people assume copyrighted stuff made by companies as some free public domain takings.
In early stages of my mod, I used gun model from KillerQuakePack. I mentioned the credits in the readme and all, and still was accused of stealing... But nevermind.
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

leileilol wrote: by the way, valve software in general is considered evile around these parts
that is very interesting and I have already heard it in other places.
is it true that they check up to the skins and uv maps in modbb?
This rumor has come to me! But nevertheless I do not know concrete cases.
I believe that it is a big problem the false GNU, so the only thing that we have left is to create our own textures and models

:( :(
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

actually valve is evile starting with Half-Life around here. it's the inherited billgateisms Gabe had from his time at Microsoft that lead to a deep influence to the masses as if Valve invented everything themselves including TF, Worldcraft/Hammer, Counter-Strike, Portals (even its fans ignoring Prey entirely), flashlights, etcetera. all mostly done by assimilation of the communities. The assimilations also skewed people's motives for modding from 'going creativite nuts' to 'make something cloney to sell to Valve for super big money'

We're all fans of id Software, who don't do this. Instead they contract people for one project a while since they know they're damn good (most famously Michael Abrash for Quake assembly magic, and Mr. Elusive for Q3 bots which are streamlined Q2 Gladiator bots)
Last edited by leileilol on Tue May 03, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
i should not be here
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

leileilol wrote:you could still make something like 'holes!!! its about holes!!! and whats in them!', have no Glados but a redneck instead obsessing about holes, and the portal gun would be a space shovel making interstellar holes. and since they're holes you can handwave the lack of portal rendering.
Set it in a world made of cheese!
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews