simplifying mdl model (quake portal gun)

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

You need to get rid of your fullbrights in your texture, otherwise it'll make if look like shit in the dark. Good work otherwise. Or is that just for the lightning bits?
siska.robert

Post by siska.robert »

The brites *should* be only on the lightning bolt. I'm not really sure, though!
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Just checking, I glanced at the skin and noticed the brights were there. You're right, they should be on the lightning bolt part.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I put the model in game and I noticed some black areas near the welding of the metal arms(Fig1). Just a question: do you alter the uv coordinates in the mdl export process? Because, if I override the texture in darkplaces with v_portal.mdl_0.tga the coordinates are completely scrambled (Fig2).
For Fullbright support:
I've no experience with normal quake engine but with nexuiz/xonotic (so darkplaces engine too) I created a model once with a completely black _glow.tga and just the overbright parts coloured
In this model, if I override the textured with v_portal.mdl_0_glow.tga, nothing happens.

During this week end, I'll try to find out the solution.
siska.robert

Post by siska.robert »

Oops! I didn't notice that at all!

This is normal quake MDL. There are no glow maps whatsoever. I just used that normal colored texture (changed it to 200x200 for dosquake) and that's it.

What caused that black spots AND that second problem is, that I merged gun model with BOLT1.MDL from pak0 in qME.
I this is how it got merged:

http://imagebin.org/153926

I think we have to add some bolts right to the blender file before exporting to MDL...
Madfox

Post by Madfox »

Hey Siska..,

had a rough scetch, decided to replace the 24not cirkel by a 8not,
remodelled a bit and had this outcome.
Replacing resulted to a 925 tris and 3027 verts one.
I don't know if I could tighten things further, but from a far vieuw of point it has something of the valvegun.

So I could shorten up 689 tris, but had to count 3 verts in.
Anyway I was answering a 4may post , hadn't seen the others.
mayday

:wink: