New md3 models in Darkplaces

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
ajay

New md3 models in Darkplaces

Post by ajay »

People have sensibly advised me of various md3 map models to use in my map, however, although it's pretty clear how to replace exisiting mdl's with md3's, I'm struggling somewhat to get new models working.

Some questions therefore:
1) If the model is in a .pk3 file, should I keep it in it or extract it and place it in Quake/mod-name/progs/ ?
2) If left in the .pk3, where would it go? Quake/mod-name/ ??
3) When coding the new model in .qc, and if the model is left in the .pk3, what path do I put in setmodel? Just the root folder of the mod (if put there) or that plus the structure within the .pk3?
4) What additional code needs to be added for md3 map models. For mdl ones I normal just precache, setmodel, solid type and move type. Is there anything else?

Thanks for the help
Spike

Post by Spike »

pk3 works like pak
md3 works like mdl

nuff said.
replacements would suck if you needed to rewrite the mod for each one.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

bear in mind that md3s have pathnames in their texture paths. so if you place for example models/mapobjects/blah/blah.md3 as progs/blah.mdl you'd still need the models/mapobjects/blah/blah.tga as its path
i should not be here
ajay

Post by ajay »

Thanks you two. My error was inexplicably stupid and careless that I refuse to share it. Anyway, working now.