the technique u use to make a quake mdl

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
leileilol

Re: the technique u use to make a quake mdl

Post by leileilol »

you're not supposed to put 24bit images in mdls

also, mspaint has terrible color conversion
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

Have you tried to export 24-bit skin to 8-bit pcx before import into Quark? PCX needs to be exact Quake color palette, with colors in the right order. FIMG tool can help with this.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

I exported from mdl, using I think qme lite and as bmp. I think one of them allows export to pcx, I forget which one. Is it best to use pcx as the format to edit the skin in before reimport?
qbism wrote:Have you tried to export 24-bit skin to 8-bit pcx before import into Quark? PCX needs to be exact Quake color palette, with colors in the right order. FIMG tool can help with this.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Cobalt wrote:I exported from mdl, using I think qme lite and as bmp. I think one of them allows export to pcx, I forget which one. Is it best to use pcx as the format to edit the skin in before reimport?
Editing in 24-bit is best if doing scaling, or pasting from some other source. PNG or other lossless 24-bit format is good for saving versions of the "master" texture. The PNG then is converted to Quake palette PCX. Often the original will have to be tweaked several times to get the best appearance within limits of the palette. The idea is to control exactly what the skin will look like before applying it to the model.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Ok, got Qbism, and I re-exported to pcx, and yea, it loads up nice in that program, however there is no freehand select tool. I want to copy some stuff from one skin and paste to another. Could the problem in paint be the 2 files have different palletes?
qbism wrote:Have you tried to export 24-bit skin to 8-bit pcx before import into Quark? PCX needs to be exact Quake color palette, with colors in the right order. FIMG tool can help with this.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Freehand copy paste pcx to pcx: Try Gimp, it's a photoshop-like image editor. It will preserve pcx palette order on save.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Hah, I tried that too, could not locate the freehand select tool.....? What does it look like?
qbism wrote:Freehand copy paste pcx to pcx: Try Gimp, it's a photoshop-like image editor. It will preserve pcx palette order on save.
qbism

Post by qbism »

lasso - 3rd from left.
Madfox

Post by Madfox »

Wally is also a fine Quake I-II palette editor, though it works with bmp.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Thanks, finally got it. Gimp is pretty good....would be nice if it had a 2x-10x scaler instead of having to calculate the numbers manually, but good enough. Also, was wondering , and just noticed it now ...the h_player or probably just about any head model is not proportionate to the model / model left by the bodycue? Maybe a QC question but can it be resized?
qbism

Post by qbism »

Cobalt wrote:would be nice if it had a 2x-10x scaler
Change Units from "pixels" to "percent"
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

thanks, didnt see that......
qbism wrote:
Cobalt wrote:would be nice if it had a 2x-10x scaler
Change Units from "pixels" to "percent"
Electro

Post by Electro »

You would rather converting between extra formats each time than find Noesis once in one of your download folders, or download the current version? Interesting.
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
Seven

Post by Seven »

Hello,

I am looking for this animation tutorial from Preach from the QExpo:
http://www.quakeexpo.com/booth.php?id=32

Many people suggested it as a very good tutorial.
Unfortunately the site went down and I would like to ask if it was back´ed-up ?

Thank you very much for your help.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

He'll put it up on his blog, until then http://web.archive.org/web/201007010902 ... .php?id=32
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews