so i tried animating the quake guy

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
ceriux

so i tried animating the quake guy

Post by ceriux »

i tried making a new animation for the quake guy. what happened though is that it added about 100 vertacies after i compiled it. so what happened? how can i fix it?
Biodude

Post by Biodude »

what program was it animated in? What way did you compile it?
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

first i exported a frame from qme, next i imported it into milkshape, built a skeleton and made my animation. after that i exported to .md3, opened it in quark, resaved it as .mdl. exported a frame imported it into the original and too many verticies so it scrambles the triangles.

edit: i actually didnt export a frame i saved the quake guy as a md2. then i imported into milkshape sorry.
Biodude

Post by Biodude »

Try this, open the smds in ms3d, export as a md2(put a skin.pcx and md2.qc in same export directory), then import into quark and export as a quake mdl. I never had that vertice add on that way
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

Thank you very much =). i may have to use this method from now on. it seem's it's quark which add's the extra verticies =)
Biodude

Post by Biodude »

I somehow completely ignored the fact that my models added on 500 verts and tris to the converted models. Why though?!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

wait what? i didnt have a problem with your method? are you now?
Biodude

Post by Biodude »

Well, I was converting a hl2 mod's weapon to quake. I did the same thing , decompile, do the md2 thing, quark, and it somehow added on 500 more tris and verts than in ms3d. I am pretty sure this doesnt happen normally to me, just for some reason it is doing it now.