Skins messes up???

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Send me da model, I look at it.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

ummm im not entirely sure but i dont think so. its baker's proquake 4.70 for PSP. But why wouldnt i even be able to replace quake's default weapons, and why these select few? It may be engine, but i think it has something to do with the models, its just this "batch" these 3 new items, spas, medkit, now m16, made in milkshape, converted to 3ds and given to me, saved as .blend and handed to our animator, handed back to me converted into .mdl, the same method i have been using for a long time.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I've looked at the medkit model, and it's very strange... This model looks fine in WinQuake but in FitzQuake the hands and fingers (but not arms) have weird patches of black on them, which wouldn't be explained by the skin itself, which has no black areas.

It looks like in the uvmap you have "folded over" some mesh regions onto the same skinmap region (e.g. the fingers in this model). I can only guess that the "meshing" algorithm used by GLQuake and its derivatives doesn't take this possibility into account somehow. (DarkPlaces doesn't use the old 1997 algorithm.) I don't know anything about this meshing though, so I'm not sure why it doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure that you'll have to either re-unwrap and skin the model without using these 'shortcuts', or the engine's meshing code will have to be rewritten. I would recommend re-unwrapping anyway because the skin doesn't need to be this detailed on the PSP, and there's a ton of wasted space anyhow.

Overlapping two polygons on the same skinmap region should be fine, but I'm not sure if any of these overlapping polygons might actually share an edge, which may or may not be bad. I don't know.

Perhaps I'm not even on the right track. The fingers weren't the only part that were screwed up, the rest of the hands were too, and I don't see why that would happen.

(BTW reducing the skin width/height doesn't fix it.)
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

try painting the top left corner black

some engines have that 'fill in the background color black' hack.

and your uvmaps suck, also
i should not be here
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

leil, where do you live? I wanna kiss you lol. It worked. And our texture artist is fairly new at UV mapping and texturing, thats my excuse. Thanks alot though.

And thanks Ceriux and Sajt for at least trying.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

By Jove, leileilol, you're right, and that fixed it. What is this hack? I've never heard of it.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Sajt wrote:What is this hack? I've never heard of it.
It's to mainly get around bleeding blue edges on the v_.mdl skins in some GL engines. They have a bright blue background. Why? Who knows what Adrian Carmack was thinking........ probably because it was done on a sunny spring day in texas where the glare on the CRTs are bright. id software's office had a lot of windows and open spaces so maybe.
i should not be here