Darkplaces and models

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Nahuel

Darkplaces and models

Post by Nahuel »

Hi all, I have several models MilkShape (MS3D format) but oops, the models are too triangles to transform them into models of q2. If I use Darkplaces, what models are best format of models to use?
How to transform MS3D models to quake3 models format?
Should I use MilkShape or another program?
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

if you are using milkshape its realy easy to make md3's generate the qc file (it does all the work for that) then export as md3. done.
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

ceriux wrote:if you are using milkshape its realy easy to make md3's generate the qc file (it does all the work for that) then export as md3. done.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ooppee

Post by ooppee »

MD3 exporting works great - I myself use Half-Life's SMD and then use dpmodel to compile it into md3. I just like having all the animations in a separate file - so if you need to edit it - import animation, edit, export and recompile. Setting up the qc file is VERY easy.
There's only 1 issue with doing this is you then after once compiled into md3 - use a md3 editor and delete frame 0 or animations in other engines will be bugged (will show the model unanimated on a single frame)
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

ooppee wrote:MD3 exporting works great - I myself use Half-Life's SMD and then use dpmodel to compile it into md3. I just like having all the animations in a separate file - so if you need to edit it - import animation, edit, export and recompile. Setting up the qc file is VERY easy.
There's only 1 issue with doing this is you then after once compiled into md3 - use a md3 editor and delete frame 0 or animations in other engines will be bugged (will show the model unanimated on a single frame)
This bug is very strange ... Does the engine takes the frame 0 as if it were all the frames? But what software you use to create, edit dpmodels?
Spike

Post by Spike »

0 is often used as a base frame, in a convienient pose etc, but this is a pose you would never normally want to see a monster/player in, so...
you could just not use frame 0 in your qc code or whatever.
ooppee

Post by ooppee »

Yeah it's exactly what Spike said. It would show the model quickly flash the "posing/rigging" pose for a quick frame on the models first animation. It can be bypassed using QC code or using the .framegroups file it makes - however if you are making a model replacement without code it's best to delete frame 0. It's been what I've been doing on my releases on Quakeone.com as some users want to use the content on other engines -> which don't support the .framegroups file.
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

oh!to look at the code of some of my monsters (I'm working on a mod called WASTE hehe) is too confusing. For example there are functions that take frames from different framegroups, but i used this for a classic mdl. Until now (and running DP and winquake) have had no problems.