Quake 1 --> HL model?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
enki

Quake 1 --> HL model?

Post by enki »

Can someone give me a rundown of the right way to convert an item model from Quake to HL1? I seem to be having some problems getting it done in Milkshape and trying to compile the .qc with studiomdl.exe ... it's crashing either way (yes my skin is 256 colors and right size etc).

For informational purposes It's an armor shard model I've done for a Quake mod, so I don't need a reminder about licensing etc... just an idea on how to do this with the reference.smd and sequence.smd without it crashing. :(
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I'm not an expert on the matter, but I guess it would be easier if you took the mdl->md2->hlmdl route.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
enki

Post by enki »

I kinda sorta have it figured out, it no longer crashes - but the Texture Coordinate Editor portion of the program is an absolute trainwreck.
Biodude

Post by Biodude »

I do it all the time, I am pretty sure all you have to do is export the quake skin from qme, then put the model in quark and export as .md2

then import and you should be fine

Maybe I can help ya with it