Darkplaces and dpm animations

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
toneddu2000

Darkplaces and dpm animations

Post by toneddu2000 »

Hi guys, I'm working on a DP game (which used same quakec source code from original id quake)and I'm desperately trying to make work player - monsters animations in dpm/zym format. This is my procedure:
1) I model, rig and create animations in blender 2.49 - I create for example a modern version of the Ogre. So I open original .mdl model and check all animations name and frame start and end, I take note and I recreate all animations with same name and duration
2) Then I put all animation strips in line in the NLA editor in the right order
3) I change all .mdl extensions in quakec code in .dpm or .zym (I tried both)
4) I use SMD exporter and I create all the SMD files in a folder, then
5) I use dpmodel and it creates a .dpm file with .animinfo and .framegroups files. (same with zmodel)
6) When I test in game, animations don't work (on dpm better: for player just stand animation doesn't work, with zym animations are scrambled, it runs when it should fire, and so on..)

Curious thing, in Nexuiz, zym and dpm work perfectly, because, I presume, animations work in a different way: in quake there's a $frame sintax, in nexuiz is more complex.

Any help would be appreciated: tutorials, links, advices from whom simply had success on it or similar.
Thanks
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

if you're intentionally using frame macros then you don't need the framegroups file. Framegroups is the nexuiz method (i.e. using one frame in an animation which the client handles totally instead of the server spamming frame by frame)
i should not be here
Spike

Post by Spike »

$frame syntax compiles into float constants, nothing magical. get the wrong order of definition, and the numbers they expand to will also be in the wrong order, and thus so will your frames.
order matters.

a framegroup is best thought of as an auto-animating single frame. to everything but the renderer itself, a frame or framegroup is identical.
dpm doesn't support framegroups - every frame is a single solitary frame.

but yeah, $frame order matters.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thank you guys. I don't want to abuse of your kindness but anyone knows if there's, in the entire world, someone who "converted" old style quake animations in nexuiz style one? Because I took a look at nexuiz code but, because I'm not a coder, it seems a real mess. I tried to copy code made by tZork in Nexuiz for his "zombie" monster, which uses this style of animations, but it uses values that, of course, depend from Nexuiz quake c code. If I'd like to renew old quake animations, should I organize my qcsrc folder like nexuiz one? With client and server separated folders?

@Spike
dpm doesn't support framegroups - every frame is a single solitary frame.
But dpmodel, without any command pressed, generates a .dpm file with a .animinfo and .framegroups file. Why? :shock: