AutoDesk Maya or AutoDesk 3ds Max

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
sheilaa

AutoDesk Maya or AutoDesk 3ds Max

Post by sheilaa »

What is better AutoDesk Maya or AutoDesk 3ds Max? I am deciding whether to get AutoDesk Maya or AutoDesk 3ds Max for 3d modeling and animation but i don't know which is better, and which is easier to use. Help please.
Last edited by sheilaa on Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

It's a very tricky question. There's no "better" 3d software. Personally I've used for work both and I prefer Maya for avanced modeling techniques and tools(changing topology on the way, nurbs power, yummm). Maya UI seems almost perfect to me, but animation is IMO simpler in 3dsmax (character studio builted in, simple bulging envelope rigging,crowd system,etc.). Rendering is way better in 3dsmax + external render like Vray or Splutterfish Brazil. Maya has native Mental Ray, but, if you're not a science genius, I wouldn't reccomend Mental ray's shaders philosphy (too complicated for me). Look it in this way: 3dsmax is simpler to learno but Maya can open a very WIDE range of possibilties.. When I switched form 3dsmax to Maya it seemed I found paradise... then I start using Blender, and I understood that real paradise was in it! :)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Ok. perfect. I spent my work break to talk with a smambot. And I gave it advices too! I'm an idiot. Thanks Spirit!
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

philosophically speaking, if a spambot contributes on-topic discussion, or spurs others to contribute, i'm not sure that it's really spam.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Does the ends justify the means ? :roll:
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Eliza wrote:Do you wish that a spambot contributes ontopic discussion or spurs others to contribute im not sure that its really spam?
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

8)
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

More importantly,
Markov wrote:Paradise... then I start using Blender, and I understood that a spambot contributes on-topic discussion, or spurs others to contribute, I'm not a science genius, I start using Blender, and which is easier to me, but animation is better AutoDesk Maya or spurs others to contribute I'm not sure that it's really spam?
edit: This is fun.
Markov wrote:I'm an idiot. And I gave it advanced modeling techniquestion but animation is IMO simple bulging is betterfish thanks Spirit!
Markov wrote:It's speaking too contributes others on-topic discussibilities... whicated I seems and modesk max? I prefer to leasier to learn but it in I am decidio bulging blenders
Last edited by Sajt on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Electro

Post by Electro »

Both have their pros/cons. I've used both professionally in the games industry. It's more widely accepted that the animation tools in Maya are better, if that helps sway your judgement.

Personally, I have a preference for Max, as I mostly do modeling and find the polygon workflow nicer. Basically the same can be accomplished in Maya though with hotkeys and mel scripts.

At the end of the day, it really depends what suits your personal style more, but you won't know that until you give both a decent go. Anyone who says that one or the other is obviously so much better/worse than the other, really is ignorant and has no idea.
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/