Some Modeling for Quake Questions

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Mexicouger

Some Modeling for Quake Questions

Post by Mexicouger »

I have a few questions regarding Modeling in Blender for Quake. I have the exporter, it's all good. So now my Questions:

1. Is there a reference .blend file or something I can import into blender to compare V_ and regular model sizes?

2. When animating a model, Do I go by 1 individual frame(Because by default it is set to end at 250). And if so, do I start on Frame 2 to be correct(Beings that Quake subtracts 1 or something similar).

3. Does the size of the texture impact The framerate quite a bit? Say I have a 328x256 image. Will that just be wasting my framerate?

And that is all my questions for now. Thanks!
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

I think textures need to be powers of two, so 328 wouldn't work. I could be wrong.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

quake model textures don't need to be powers of two, but glquake and many derivative engines do a poor job of resampling them when they are not.

They do need to be multiples of 16 i think? Not sure about that.

And i'm not sure but it might be the case that software engines can't handle skins taller than 200? (MAX_LBM_HEIGHT or something?)
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

What about memory. What is the risk of using a bigger image for a model. Costs/benefits. And Textures can be 256x256(Which exceeds 200)
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

I think that all depends what kind of computer you're using. 256*256 doesn't sound much for a modern computer to handle.
zbang!
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

jim wrote:I think that all depends what kind of computer you're using. 256*256 doesn't sound much for a modern computer to handle.
I am working on the PSP, Not PC.
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

metlslime wrote:quake model textures don't need to be powers of two, but glquake and many derivative engines do a poor job of resampling them when they are not.
Do skins need to be resampled though? I thought that UV coords need to stay inside the texture (not cross any edges), and hence padding a skin texture would be both quicker and look better.

You're right that there are some limits for software Quake, but I don't remember them either (I think the width multiple is either 4 or 8 ).
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

andrewj wrote:
metlslime wrote:quake model textures don't need to be powers of two, but glquake and many derivative engines do a poor job of resampling them when they are not.
Do skins need to be resampled though? I thought that UV coords need to stay inside the texture (not cross any edges), and hence padding a skin texture would be both quicker and look better.
You're right, but if I'm not mistaken GLQuake resamples DOWN to power of two instead of up. :|
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Will someone send me a file I can import into Blender to test proportions?
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

andrewj wrote:
Yes, padding is better, but glquake and many derivatives resample instead.

But the guy now reveals he's been talking about PSP the whole time, so who knows what the PSP engines do...
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

GLQuake probably resamples because old video cards had a limit of 256x256 texture size, and some models would have had to pad up to 512 width.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

just use qme to export the model you want to scale yours to fit. i believe it should export to a format you can import.