IQM for q3

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Revanic45

IQM for q3

Post by Revanic45 »

I am working on my own game and have been trying to implement the IQM model format for q3 engine. Right now I dont know what to do to get it to load... Any help?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

You will need to find the source code to the engine you use, find the specification of IQM and then add support as needed in the source code, compile and you are ready to go.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
hondobondo

Post by hondobondo »

Spirit wrote:You will need to find the source code to the engine you use, find the specification of IQM and then add support as needed in the source code, compile and you are ready to go.
i heartily endorse this sound and generic advice
Feared

Post by Feared »

You could also take a look at Darkplaces as it supports it.
Also, IQM has a sdk for it here http://lee.fov120.com/iqm/

It has everything you could possibly need, I don't see this format being a hard format to implement.
Stay safe and have fun. ;)

P.S. This is a quake one forums
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Feared wrote:P.S. This is a quake one forums
Actually there are people from all 3 GPL'd Quake's posting here.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
Feared

Post by Feared »

Irritant wrote:
Feared wrote:P.S. This is a quake one forums
Actually there are people from all 3 GPL'd Quake's posting here.
Neat
Revanic45

Post by Revanic45 »

well thats a very vague and unhelpful answer... the thing is that i said before, is that I just need to load the iqms in the engine. Im mainly an artist, not too great of a programmer although i have some experience. I have the source of the engine, i have the iqm stuff, I just need to beable to load it but from other sources it looks like itll be very hard to do and complicated...
Rich

Post by Rich »

Revanic45 wrote:well thats a very vague and unhelpful answer... the thing is that i said before, is that I just need to load the iqms in the engine. Im mainly an artist, not too great of a programmer although i have some experience. I have the source of the engine, i have the iqm stuff, I just need to beable to load it but from other sources it looks like itll be very hard to do and complicated...
I don't suppose implementing a new skeletal model format in the Quake engine ought to be the sort of thing you'd be able to get away with, without having programmery inclinations.

I'd say your choices are to go with an engine/game that supports IQM, or get whoever maintains your engine of choice to implement IQM. Which means finding a Q3 engine project that's already actively maintained, because your chances of success there are far greater than your chances in trying to get some random guy to implement IQM in a vanilla Q3 codebase for you. I suppose if you can get anyone to implement it in any Q3 codebase which hasn't been radically changed, you could probably then get away with diffing their changes to merge into other Q3 codebases.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Not a necessary post, per se, but ...
Games/3D engines that support IQM:

* Cube 2: Sauerbraten
* DarkPlaces
* Syntensity
* Red Eclipse
* Alien Arena
Q3 is not in the list. This is why you've received the responses you have. Q3 does not support it. So you cannot use IQM in Q3 unless someone adds it in.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..