How I can extract a model from a map?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Eljoax

How I can extract a model from a map?

Post by Eljoax »

Is possible convert a bsp in a model?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Darkplaces has a 'modeldecompile' console command to do just that. It makes a obj out of anything!
i should not be here
Eljoax

Post by Eljoax »

leileilol wrote:Darkplaces has a 'modeldecompile' console command to do just that. It makes a obj out of anything!
ok, I try it
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Extracting submodels like doors and such out of the world's BSP would be nice; I don't remember if QuArK can do it, but its map editor allows for opening pre-compiled BSPs and drawing new brushes over them, which makes it easier to create identical models.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Eljoax

Post by Eljoax »

leileilol wrote:Darkplaces has a 'modeldecompile' console command to do just that. It makes a obj out of anything!
don' work.
says ''empty model or sprite''
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Perhaps a modified version of VBSP could do this? That would be pretty useful, eh?
Eljoax

Post by Eljoax »

Eljoax wrote:
don' work.
EDIT: Work perfectly¡

But i have a problem whit the skin :(
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

can you export the whole map as a obj? it would be nice for scaling prop models to fit how your wanting them to.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

that's what modeldecompile is for! When I mean anything I damn well mean anything.

ALSO: DON'T FORGET NOESIS, THE MODEL IMPORTSTEALFROMJAPANESECONSOLEGAMESANDMAKEGMODRAGDO- I mean STUDY tool! That can open BSPs and export OBJ files as well but i'm not sure if its scale is relative to quake units.
i should not be here
pj17903

Post by pj17903 »

Eljoax wrote:
Eljoax wrote:
don' work.
EDIT: Work perfectly¡

But i have a problem whit the skin :(
I'm having the same problem - trying to export a simple .map file, and getting the error "empty model or sprite" - how did you get around it?
Rich

Post by Rich »

leileilol wrote:that's what modeldecompile is for! When I mean anything I damn well mean anything.

ALSO: DON'T FORGET NOESIS, THE MODEL IMPORTSTEALFROMJAPANESECONSOLEGAMESANDMAKEGMODRAGDO- I mean STUDY tool! That can open BSPs and export OBJ files as well but i'm not sure if its scale is relative to quake units.
It can export Q1/HL/Q3 BSP's fully intact with textures and texture references, to any supported output format. You could even go bsp->mdl, if you'd like to see a hilarious tragedy. (well, unless your BSP geometry is small enough to exist within the limited vertex precision)

Scale also remains identical to the original BSP scale, unless you specify otherwise with the -scale option.