doom3 to quake1 mod

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
sean

doom3 to quake1 mod

Post by sean »

hi

ive been working on a doom3 weapon and sound mod for quake1...its been in development for a couple months and its almost done...this mod has been a concept for 5 years.

my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/seanstar33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0nBvJ9S7eU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xWcaWjplmE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvEvUdSDKis
Last edited by sean on Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Biodude

Post by Biodude »

awesome work!

did you code anything in? or just model replacements?
sean

Post by sean »

no code changes yet...id like to add foot steps for monsters and the player though.

this mod features weapons, models, sounds, and some monster skins all based from doom3 and quake4 content:)

i was just finishing the bmodels today and they came out adding major realism to the scene.
Baker

Post by Baker »

There are always these GPL footsteps:

http://tenshihan.nexuizninjaz.com/FOR_D ... ndbank.zip

(PHPBB foobar'd the link, I'm sure you can figure it out ...)

And this tutorial:

http://www.inside3d.com/showtutorial.php?id=179

And you need FTEQCC (well any qcc would do, but it is best one because it supports conditional compilation and Spike is otherwise a qcc Quake-god):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fteqw/f ... p/download
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Baker wrote:There are always these GPL footsteps:
This is a copyright infringement project that involves directly copying and pasting one game into another to show off ...don't you realize that?

Also, his sounds are non-Free SoundIdeas stuff he denies sampling from (with the defense of deaf coders), so they can't really trustly apply to GPL projects either. Its a shame Nexu... Xonotic still uses them if they're serious about that Free thing... since they side with him I discharged my support for a project that supports art thieves. Hell once that same guy even stole and repackaged my felicia model with the credits stripped out with sounds added "from my girlfriend". How they can trust that guy even after a fake played-up "sympathy sickness" from the proof and evidence of his thievery, I do not know... must be the whole ninja circlejerking that made it through.
i should not be here
sean

Post by sean »

leileilol wrote:
Baker wrote:There are always these GPL footsteps:
This is a copyright infringement project that involves directly copying and pasting one game into another to show off ...don't you realize that?

Also, his sounds are non-Free SoundIdeas stuff he denies sampling from (with the defense of deaf coders), so they can't really trustly apply to GPL projects either. Its a shame Nexu... Xonotic still uses them if they're serious about that Free thing... since they side with him I discharged my support for a project that supports art thieves. Hell once that same guy even stole and repackaged my felicia model with the credits stripped out with sounds added "from my girlfriend". How they can trust that guy even after a fake played-up "sympathy sickness" from the proof and evidence of his thievery, I do not know... must be the whole ninja circlejerking that made it through.

what do you know of the process i use?

what mods have you done?
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

leileilol wrote:...a project that supports art thieves.
You can't steal art, it's infinitely reproducable.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

sean wrote:what do you know of the process i use?

what mods have you done?
You know, your models look suspiciously like the ones from Doom3. I think it's a pretty safe bet that they ARE from Doom3.

Also, what mods have you done?

I won't even reply to dreadlorde...
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Sajt wrote:Also, what mods have you done?
Yep. He means I suck and I have no room to argue with conversions. It's for the PSP too, right? What's the intent of Doom3Q1 when we could play... Doom3?

Please don't pull that "so, what have you done" counter-argument again, it particularily doesn't make good first impressions in front of what, Quake veterans all over here, some of us playing since the earliest release of the game...especially if your own project is just model lifts. This is no community full of PSP Quake newbie randoms. You can't condescend that easily.

If you're going to continue this Doom3 copy, then do so at your own risk. Todd Hollenshead would take great offense to this, and who knows how bad Zenimax would unleash with foxing these days since they're even aggressive about people mirroring their freeware releases.
i should not be here
sean

Post by sean »

leileilol wrote:
Sajt wrote:Also, what mods have you done?
Yep. He means I suck and I have no room to argue with conversions. It's for the PSP too, right? What's the intent of Doom3Q1 when we could play... Doom3?

Please don't pull that "so, what have you done" counter-argument again, it particularily doesn't make good first impressions in front of what, Quake veterans all over here, some of us playing since the earliest release of the game...especially if your own project is just model lifts. This is no community full of PSP Quake newbie randoms. You can't condescend that easily.

If you're going to continue this Doom3 copy, then do so at your own risk. Todd Hollenshead would take great offense to this, and who knows how bad Zenimax would unleash with foxing these days since they're even aggressive about people mirroring their freeware releases.
i like doom3 but find the game a little boring, quake 1 is fast but has old crappy looking models...cry all day about copyrights when i own doom3 and quak4 and can legaly modify these games for my own amusment.

i never said this mod would be uploaded...how could it with little anime girl avatar tough guys like you around here to police id content going to an id game...give me a break.
Last edited by sean on Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

Sajt wrote:I won't even reply to dreadlorde...
Why? How is using models from Doom 3 or where ever in a new mod stealing? The original work is still where ever the models/art came from and can still be used by anyone. It's not stealing.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
Feared

Post by Feared »

sean wrote:i like doom3 but find the game a little boring, quake 1 is fast but has old crappy looking models...cry all day about copyrights when i own doom3 and quak4 and can legaly modify these games for my own amusment.

i never said this mod would be uploaded...how could it with little anime girl avatar tough guys like you around here to police id content going to an id game...give me a break.
Why even post this here, then?
And no, you don't deserve a break, how have you earned it?
I'm sorry but I've been reading your posts here and at quakeone. You seem extremely childish, if you can't handle the truth on the internet then you're best to run to your mommy.

If this mod is for self amusement then there's zero reason to post it.
dreadlorde wrote:
Why? How is using models from Doom 3 or where ever in a new mod stealing? The original work is still where ever the models/art came from and can still be used by anyone. It's not stealing.
How is it not stealing?
If I took models from Doom and put them into a Quake mod then uploaded it for everyone (even those who don't own doom), how is it not stealing?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

dreadlorde wrote:
Back in 2000 id foxed the Generations mod exactly for the same reasons: they were using a lot of resources (mostly, but not limited to textures) from Doom, Quake and Wolf3D into a Quake 2 TC - besides, the Generations TC gameplay and theme was too similar with the about-to-be-launched-at-the-time Quake 3. And that was a really well done mod BTW. Now I know that many of us already crossed this line without any other consequence beyond leileilol whining about GPL violations. Well, guess what: he's basically correct. And what happened back in 2000 can happen again, so be aware: just because they aren't doing nothing now don't mean they won't do in the future (after all, they are working in Doom 4, and your work can also conflict with their interests).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

dreadlorde wrote:It's not stealing.
docs/license.txt says otherwise, and so does that "Copyright(C) 2004" bit.

other id game stuff in id games has been disallowed for a long time. Quake1Arena, which is exactly what it says on the tin (Q3A in Q1)- got foxed back in 2001. Quake's age "who cares its an old crappy game" is no excuse for this.

Generations Arena (for Q3) on the other hand isn't foxed because they have something different to back themselves up - creative talent that doesn't convert files from other games. As you can see, they've learned the lesson from the former although this isn't really the same exact team. They're still around working on the project today.

Also frag a little nitpick correction - Generations Q2 was foxed in 1999, and my GPL argument is seperate and was in regard to baker's "gpl" sound suggestion from a specific infraction source itself. You probably couldn't use pure GPL sounds with this, either.

a quiet hknight/hit.wav is a good footstep noise in the meantime, and a quiet tarbaby land noise is great for water footsteps.

Feared wrote:If this mod is for self amusement then there's zero reason to post it.
Amen, though this seems to come across some envyness over some MD5->MDL pipeline. Didn't Sajt do a tool to do just that once?
i should not be here
sean

Post by sean »

Feared wrote:
sean wrote:i like doom3 but find the game a little boring, quake 1 is fast but has old crappy looking models...cry all day about copyrights when i own doom3 and quak4 and can legaly modify these games for my own amusment.

Why even post this here, then?
And no, you don't deserve a break, how have you earned it?
I'm sorry but I've been reading your posts here and at quakeone. You seem extremely childish, if you can't handle the truth on the internet then you're best to run to your mommy.

If this mod is for self amusement then there's zero reason to post it.
dreadlorde wrote:
How is it not stealing?
If I took models from Doom and put them into a Quake mod then uploaded it for everyone (even those who don't own doom), how is it not stealing?
do you have any mp3s on your computer?

do you cry at girl movies?

stealing what its an id game...on a id game.
am i getting paid?
maybe someone would buy a copy of quake on steam to try this new mod out beacuse they remember playing quake 1 ten years ago.

the reason to post about this mod is mine but mostly its because of seven and other smart and giving people.

why dont you go run to your mom you big mouth all talk though i bet.
Last edited by sean on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.