Making Complex 2D HUD graphics

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Baker

Making Complex 2D HUD graphics

Post by Baker »

What software is good at making things like the HUD elements above.

Anti-aliased shapes, lines, etc?

(Please don't say AutoCAD)
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

photoshop
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

paint shop pro if you hate photoshop like me...
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

Paint shop pro was my intro to image editing... it will always have a special place for me. That said, photoshop all the way.
Until gimp gets a few more things straightened out anyways.
I love the gimp but it just...it just makes me weep sometimes.
Baker

Post by Baker »

I guess it's photoshop then.

Let's see ...

$599 off Adobe web site.
$89 if I am a student.

Or $0.99 on E-Bay. :D

(Gimp doesn't seem well suited to the task; Paintshop Pro kinda is and kinda isn't.... )

I've done some cursory looking around for open source alternatives for this kind of task. The selection is rather sparse and seemingly unmature.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Baker

Post by Baker »

I really would prefer to use something open source ...

Giving Inkscape a shot ... we'll see how it turns out.

http://www.inkscape.org/

Three reasons to support Open Source in situations like these:

1. Bloatware. Applications that entirely too massive for what they do. Like say 2 GB or 567 MB for something that should only be 10-50 MB.

2. DRM. Make the application inefficient and inconvenient and hard to install or move to stop pirates at the expense of the legitimate user.

3. Or in this case ... we all know Photoshop gets pirated a lot. Photoshop really should be $59, instead it is $699 (companies that don't care how they spend $$$) or reasonably priced for students ($89).

You know there is some sort of market failure when the student version costs 12% of the retail price.

Buying applications like that is support their future. Some scurvy dogs would argue that pirating that kind of software is the way to go ... and putting the obvious moral grounds aside that is STILL supporting their future because it is not supporting a better future.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

I use Paint.NET because it works fine for me and I'm more into pixel art than anything, so even paint would do.
r00k

Post by r00k »

The artwork itself is trivial, the coding and aligning everything properly is the actual work.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Source uses .ttfs for hud glyphs, which is the most retarded idea ever
i should not be here
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

leileilol wrote:Source uses .ttfs for hud glyphs, which is the most retarded idea ever
Isn't that so they can scale at different resolutions like vector graphics?
Baker

Post by Baker »

Update: Inkscape is very good

Snap to grip, ability to create nodes within shapes.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Yes, something like that is easy in Inkscape. For the blur just clone everything and set blur to 3 or something like that.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Baker

Post by Baker »

Yeah, I'm liking Inkscape ... I'm gonna start a thread with some shots.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I have to defend Paint Shop Pro here. I use PSP7. Starting with version 8 it became a bad Photoshop clone. (Floating toolbars? 10 minutes to load the program?) It is useful for 99% of what you could possibly want to do in a bitmap editor. That is, simple tasks. I don't know what the confusing Photoshop can do that warrants its huge pricetag, but I'm not missing it. (Although in older times I wished PSP could easily do the "offset" thing which made seamless-texture cleanup easier.)
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.