Texture and 2D gfx notes ...

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Baker

Texture and 2D gfx notes ...

Post by Baker »

No forum for this so I'll shoehorn this in here.

Graphic dimensions for the Quake 2D Pics.

Menu Single player, etc. = 240px by 21 px. per row Maybe technically 22 px height. With reasonable resolution, scales to 960 x 84

[Post to be updated as needed with more data].
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Chip

Post by Chip »

Are you sure about that? I recreated all 2D pics for OpenQuartz 2 and they're all multiple of 16. I have all 2D pics in Photoshop .psd format. The menu single player pic is 256x32.

I can upload them somewhere and link them here if you want.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
mh

Post by mh »

Most of the main status bar pics are definitely 24 high, quite certain about that.

Looking at M_Main_Draw (for example, but it's the same in the rest of them), the cursor (spinning Q logo) is drawn at "32 + m_main_cursor * 20", indicating that the row height in the menu pics is actually 20.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Baker

Post by Baker »

Oops :D

Yeah 24 high.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Chip

Post by Chip »

Baker wrote:Oops :D Yeah 24 high.
I must be wrong then. I took all images from the original OpenQuartz, and I figured they took them from the original Quake. It seems I was wrong. I'll try to open gfx.wad and see the original dimensions there. That is the place to check this, right?

If all else fails, I'll wait for you, Baker, to document them all here.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
mh

Post by mh »

The 16 dimension sounds like they might have been pre-scaled to powers of 2 for OpenGL. :?:
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Spike

Post by Spike »

the quake engine traditionally uses the size of the wad/lumps to decide how large the items should normally be drawn. which means resizing/highres things can be awkward.
status bar images will be generally be small enough to be packed into a larger texture to avoid state changes anyway.
sbar is 24 high, ibar is 16 high (ammo counts above the images for an extra 8 pixels or so), so the sbar and ibar background images are the same.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

If you are making a list of 2D graphics in Quake for some reason, I guess you should also add which are drawn with Draw_Pic and which are drawn with Draw_TransPic.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.