Best Modeling Program?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

1...2....5!
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Sajt wrote:the useless 3D view with exaggerated perspective that Milkshape 3D has.
The FOV can be adjusted in MS.
qbism wrote:MS does a great job exporting to mdl and md2, including animation. This capability is just not well-documented. Figuring out how to write the qc control file is the key.
The MDL exporter in MilkShape has a limit of 255 frames, which is impossible to overcome.

And MilkShape also doesn't support the reordering of frames of animation, so there's no way to simply export the rest of the animations to other MDL files, which would allow us to merge all of them together by using qME.

Quake's network protocol only supports 255 frames of animation, but framegroups counts as single frames. So, when making a model with lots and lots of animations, you could simply pack most of them into framegroups.
qbism wrote:Could Quark be used instead of QME for skin import?
I don't use QuArK for anything MDL-related, since it disconnects all back-faced triangles from all front-faced triangles, duplicating all geometry vertexes shared by them. This ruins the lighting in the model and makes it heavier to render.

Using QuArK for Quake's MDLs is a HUGE mistake, unless you really want your back-faced and front-faced triangles to remain disconnected.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

mk wrote:
qbism wrote:Could Quark be used instead of QME for skin import?
I don't use QuArK for anything MDL-related, since it disconnects all back-faced triangles from all front-faced triangles, duplicating all geometry vertexes shared by them. This ruins the lighting in the model and makes it heavier to render.

Using QuArK for Quake's MDLs is a HUGE mistake, unless you really want your back-faced and front-faced triangles to remain disconnected.
QuArK 4.07 doesn't mess the models AFAIK. I've used it a lot of times, and got no problems of duplicated faces. It has other awkward
problems, though (like being a terrible 3D editor) :)
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

It doesn't duplicate the faces, it only duplicates the vertexes shared by both back-faced and front-faced triangles.

If only a single vertex of a back-faced triangle also belongs to a front-faced triangle, then only that vertex will be duplicated.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube