IQM model versions

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
something

IQM model versions

Post by something »

Heya,
Im trying to get IQM models to work with darkplaces.
but using the latest darkplaces build(2010-04-08) it complains that it only supports version 0 IQM models. im using the exporter from
http://lee.fov120.com/iqm/
(2010-04-15)

its for blender2.5 which i really would like to continue using as i have everything set up.

anyway on closer inspection of the script there is a line during the file output which sets a flag for version number of the model file. it outputs to version 1.

i guess there are some significant changes to the iqm format that might need updating in darkplaces.

anyway the whole point is i would like to get animated meshes from blender2.5 to darkplaces. theres no problem exporting from 2.49. but all my animations are already set up in 2.5 and opening my blend files in 2.49 works but i lose all animation/s.

does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to get animated models out of 2.5 into darkplaces.
out of simplicity i wouldnt mind using md3 but there are no exporters yet for 2.5

does anyone have any experience using IQM?

how about model exporting to darkplaces of any kind from blender2.5?

EDIT: i would like to avoid export as one format>then convert>then something else approach.
but if it works i guess ill have to deal.

-something
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I am very inexperienced on models, Blender, etc, but I noticed on the IQM site, the latest build is from 2010-04-20, not 04-15, so you might want to get that latest build. If that still isn't working, you can try experimenting with the unstable latest DarkPlaces builds, you can use the SVN, or just browse http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/files/
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
leileilol

Re: IQM model versions

Post by leileilol »

something wrote:from blender2.5?
Once 2.5 matures beyond alpha, maybe. I still use (and love!) 2.49.2, i'll cry if support for 2.49 is dropped as I hate 2.5
Last edited by leileilol on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
i should not be here
something

Post by something »

thanks, yeh i did try an update but its still the same. i even tried changing the export script to specify version 0 instead of 1. but it segfaults darkplaces.
(i wasnt expecting much from that move)

ive looked into the md3 export script(i wouldnt mind using md3 so long as it works)

and looking around the new blender2.5 python interface has changed alot of the modules etc that they use to interact. but im not a python guy so no idea what to do.

there is also no smd exporter from 2.5 yet. the only format that is easily exportable atm is iqm.

i think its more on darkplaces end.
hopefully getting support for iqm or something.
DPM woudl be good if there was a way to get one from 2.5 but seems you need a smd to do so.

ill keep looking around.

@leileilol - yeh i just love 2.5 until it came around i couldnt get feel for <2.5
Last edited by something on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

personally I wouldn't bother with dpm at all or psk, iqm works for me (tm)

...except for certain models crashing the renderer for reasons i don't know what. then again, psk did that too. IQMs have always been a hit and miss for me when it comes to stability.

If your model segfaults, try contacting eihrul or lordhavoc about it
i should not be here
something

Post by something »

so does iqm work fine for you out of 2.49~?

i would assume the exporter from 2.5 would work.
since its from the same release of iqm package.

what date iqm exporter do you use with 2.49~?
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

something wrote:so does iqm work fine for you out of 2.49~?

i would assume the exporter from 2.5 would work.
since its from the same release of iqm package.

what date iqm exporter do you use with 2.49~?
The error is because eihrul upgraded the format to add bone scaling support, and more changes are underway.

He did not implement backwards compatibility with previous version files because it's still early in the life of the format, he's tinkering with it still.
something

Post by something »

ah well that makes sense. i assumed there were some significant changes that meant compatibility issues between v0 & v1.

ill keep my eyes open for updates.

thanks all.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

One further note - because of the state of flux of IQM I recommend using the DarkPlaces autobuilds rather than the stable version, since eihrul does update the code on his site and in the DarkPlaces version control repository at about the same time, and within 6 hours another build is posted, so you need to find an accordingly recent engine to go with a tools upgrade.

The latest version for Windows is here.

The latest version for all platforms (large download) is here.
something

Post by something »

ooh. thank you
something

Post by something »

ok. so i got it exporting from 2.5 and works well. now next problem is.

getting the animations to work.

could someone please point me in the right direction?
my model has the animations. and exports with the animation entered into the exporter.

but they are stuck on the base/T pose.
is there a different approach when writing the code for animation to IQM/skeletal model types?

*apologies for my being a dumb dumb.

EDIT:
btw heres the model im attempting this with..

theres still some tweaks left for me to do. and obviously the hair..not happy with the boots. and lower half in general.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Looks good, a bit flat in the rear but actually this makes it look more real life (I know some girls which look like that :lol: ), a pretty decent model nonetheless. What are you working on BTW ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
something

Post by something »

dont really know yet.

first off animations!..

but um a simple singleplayer couple of levels. just wanna see what i can achieve..

so far ive just been re-introducing myself to quake modding. been about 10 years so a little rusty.

and getting used to darkplaces from the dev side of things..

once i get some animations working. hopefully progress will improve.
im looking into some csqc stuff. and been messing around with menuqc. but theres very little documentation so its huge amount of experimentation.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

something wrote:is there a different approach when writing the code for animation to IQM/skeletal model types?
Make a .framegroup file
http://dpwiki.slipgateconstruct.com/ind ... ing_for_DP
i should not be here
something

Post by something »

thank mongholio!!

what a nub me be.

thanks..
now to actually produce something