Converting Hexen2 / Portal of Praevus .mdl to Quake .mdl

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
goldenboy

Converting Hexen2 / Portal of Praevus .mdl to Quake .mdl

Post by goldenboy »

Apparently hexen2 mdl is not Quake mdl.

After Asaki pointed me to Quark 4.0.7, I could with many uuhs and aahs open the H2 models (I'm running that under wine...) but it doesn't want to open the Portal of Praevus ones.

It says the format isn't supported. newer versions of quark can't deal with hexen2 at all, at least that's what i found.

How can it be done? Does anyone have a method that works?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

it works, same format, quark sucks

the only real difference is that hexen2 models use higher bitflags for specifying engine-side effects (transparency, other kinds of trails), perhaps quark's just getting upset at reading those.

qme3.1 should work and if this is for rmq you should be ashamed as hexen2 models tend to be ugly, dirty, and not really worth taking (except for their barrels)
i should not be here
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I can't run qme3.1 under wine :-/ Access violation.
Spike

Post by Spike »

yeah, same format supposedly, just different bitflags and different palette. There's a bit of extra weirdness in that the bitflags say how to interpret the palette or something for alpha testing, but if you don't change the palette, that shouldn't be a problem.
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

goldenboy wrote:I can't run qme3.1 under wine :-/ Access violation.
Run XP in Virtualbox. You can use any XP ISO (even an OEM one) for 30 days before activation will nuke it.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

I might do that. I have an XP recovery DVD image that somehow doesn't work... but I might grab one of these test versions as an iso image.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Try using Quark 5, open the model, resave as quake .mdl.