"Forcing" light on model ?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
CocoT

"Forcing" light on model ?

Post by CocoT »

Alright, this is probably a very silly question, but since I'm stuck, I'm hoping one of you could maybe help me :)
I've been working on this map that uses lots of func_trains (nicely packed on the far side of the map, while the path corners are in the middle of it) and I have some issues with lighting the whole thing so that the player weapon is properly lit. Whatever I do, it always seem to be dark (even when I increase the ambient light to the max). Any suggestion on how I could fix that? :P
Oh, and my mod is using Darkplaces only, by the way.

Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

player (and any other entity) lighting is done by tracing a line straight down until you hit a lightmapped world face, and sampling the lightmap at that point.

This is true even when standing on a brushmodel, so to fix it you would have to brighten the lighting on the floor under the train's path.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Ooh, I see... Thanks! I'll try that :)
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Yat, it's working now! I was a little concerned at first because the bottom part was sky (it's a transloquake map, so it's basically a big sky box), and it didn't work. I obviously didn't want to have the bottom part hard floor. Then figured out that by putting a floor under the map, it did the trick! Awesome! :)