Model Converter [alpha released]

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

That fixed it Sajt, thanks.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

I needed this!
Thanks!
Its more fasteri hope, i needed 10 minutes to complete convert the HL2 weapons to Quake MDL...
Needed Milkshape, laggy QuArK and QME3.

http://supra36.webd.pl/issoft//fitz0001.png

http://supra36.webd.pl/issoft//fitz0000.png
Teiman

Post by Teiman »

Sajt wrote: If I ever implemented a better error handling system (using setjmp/longjmp) these warnings would disappear. Once real life cools down I'll take a look at that.
I don't think exist any program that can be made better with setjmp.

I have looked at the code and seems good. If the compiler dislike it, is on the wrong, ignore him :-)
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Ranger366 wrote:I needed this!
Thanks!
Its more fasteri hope, i needed 10 minutes to complete convert the HL2 weapons to Quake MDL...

Hmm? Do you need something or did you figure it all out?
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

Sajt wrote:
Ranger366 wrote:I needed this!
Thanks!

Hmm? Do you need something or did you figure it all out?
just said that i hope converting is much faster know, it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7XC0mBEyJk
r00k

Post by r00k »

Nice one Ranger.
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

r00k wrote:Nice one Ranger.
Thanks!
When i did some more %, i will ask for some help on this Project, if you think its an good idea (Garry's Mod PSP)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Ranger366 wrote: if you think its an good idea (Garry's Mod PSP)
NOT A GOOD IDEA AT ALL
you psp kids should stop blatantly ripping off Valve's commercial products and start making original games
You don't even know the reasonable limits of the quake engine! It's impossible to do gmod on it (face poser, lots of physics, lots of physics, lua scripting)

Lots of potential wasted talent all for cockiness of using CTRL-C + CTRL-V. I mean really, god damnit
i should not be here
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

leileilol wrote:
NOT A GOOD IDEA AT ALL
you psp kids should stop blatantly ripping off Valve's commercial products and start making original games
You don't even know the reasonable limits of the quake engine! It's impossible to do gmod on it (face poser, lots of physics, lots of physics, lua scripting)

Lots of potential wasted talent all for cockiness of using CTRL-C + CTRL-V. I mean really, god damnit
HAH! Nice
r00k

Post by r00k »

Ya know, i try to be politically correct, and sometimes i go out of my way to pander to the new guys, but I'm with the sentiment that Converting a PD model to your project is all fine and dandy, but for sake of being a week end wanker, stop hiding in the bathroom and churn out your own cheese!! err dont churn.. or um make your own models with the conversion method you have used! ;P
\Ah, heck if you own HL2 and QUAKE why not customize!?! This isnt about how to be a commercial game dev, if so this forum would get at least a few S&D's a week no?? :P

on a side note, i never thought i'd hear Cheapy defend Valve for anything.. :|

Post by Error »

not even the limits of the Quake engine you need to worry about... it's on the PSP! which while impressive for a portable console is quite weak.

in terms of physics, Darkplaces has actual good physics now, thanks to some guy tinkering around with the Nexuiz engine. LINK I'm not sure if this is in the releases, but I heard talk of just adding a dll that's needed and it's there. These physics aren't quite what you would need for a GMOD sorta mod, but still quite impressive. PSP can not handle this.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..Just watched half a dozen Youtube videos of the open source ODE physics engine being used in Nexuiz(darkplaces). Looked like fun! Hopefully Xonotic will find a use for something like that. :D
ajay

Post by ajay »

r00k wrote:Ya know, i try to be politically correct, and sometimes i go out of my way to pander to the new guys, but I'm with the sentiment that Converting a PD model to your project is all fine and dandy, but for sake of being a week end wanker, stop hiding in the bathroom and churn out your own cheese!! err dont churn.. or um make your own models with the conversion method you have used!
I get your point here, but I'll give my point of view on it.... I'm always going to be a solo mod maker; there's too many real life stuff that will get in the way and mean I drop modding for months, sometimes years. Therefore it wouldn't be fair to be part of a team and let them down, so consequently I do (or not, as is the point of this) everything myself. Now, I just about cope with qc and mapping, but I really do not have the time or energy to learn modelling as well (even if I would have get good enough at it) - I've got 3 kids and an insanely tiring and busy job and well, modding ain't my only leisure activity. Therefore I use (legally and appropriately unless I miss something) other people's models, either having to convert them or not.
As for this person's psp mod, well maybe it's not the best for many reasons and there's other things they could be doing to achieve what they want to do. But its a good place for them to learn, especially if its what enthuses them most. So it's got some issues, and it could be done differently, but if it floats their boat and gets them learning then fair enough. Their next project could be different....
Ranger366

Post by Ranger366 »

leileilol wrote:
NOT A GOOD IDEA AT ALL

Its only tempomary because i cant make these models first from scratch, i need to see how it looks like HL2, i haveto remake these models custom (im good at modelling) because of the performance, the Toolgun has too many Vertices, i cant use them.
r00k

Post by r00k »

Ajay: I completely agree. For the sake of coding or testing, it's always nice to use a test model, and if you dont have to MAKE it just to test say your new shader function sure. But to take a handful of models and retool them for a mod, well its illegal and kinda weak sauce.
But heck if its just you and your dorm buddies then who cares. And who cares anyways if its just a downgraded mod anyways. Unless Valve sees it differently. :(