Model Converter [alpha released]

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

dreadlorde wrote:Ever think of having an option of extract skins from models? Or is there another tool that can already do that?
QME can do it, of course, for MDLs. (Everything else uses external textures.) Even QuakeME 2.3 can do it... But I'll add it to the list for Qwalk 2 (gui version). It's pretty simple.
Seven wrote:I also want to thank you Sajt for giving us QWALK.

Just yesterday I found it via google-search. Searching for a program, converting between these formats.
All other programs I found are comercial ones (milkshape and quick 3D pro).
Cool, good to see that someone is using it!
Seven wrote:The last thing I miss is the md3 export function.
But as you wrote, you will not work on it in the near future due to gui development.
Which basically dont bother me. I like those command-line tools.
Keeps me remembering good old DOS days. :)
The gui version will still have some basic commandline features for batch processing. And yeah, I'm not going to bother writing md3 export for Qwalk 1 unless I really can think of nothing else to do one day. Not that it's that complicated. Could you actually use this feature for something?
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Yes, I needed it for DarkPlaces.

Creating b_box models from mdl. I dont know how to tell DP to use external textures for a renamed (.mdl to .bsp) b_box.
In MD3 I have the posibility to tell the model where his skins are (ID1/textures) and it will load the external textures (when renamed md3 to bsp).
Of course I am a noob in this. I made it the first time.
There are probably other ways to tell DP to use external textures for a mdl (bsp). But I dont know which....

But I came to a good result with the md3 workaround.

I used milkshape to convert from md2 to md3 in the end.

Best wishes,
Seven
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

something.mdl
something.mdl_0.tga
something.mdl_1.tga
etc.
is how you override mdl textures with external ones in DP. 0 for skin 0, 1 for skin 1, etc.

If you renamed it to bsp then "something.bsp_0.tga" should probably work.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

The md3 export might be useful for getting Quake .mdls into Blender to add new animations etc.

Unless there is a simpler way that I'm not aware of.

We use Qwalk in RemakeQuake, so yeah, it's definitely being used and we find it really useful.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

goldenboy wrote:The md3 export might be useful for getting Quake .mdls into Blender to add new animations etc..
Not really. When Blender imports a md# model, all the animations are annoying vertex morph target sliders. You really can't work out much from using that. It'd be better (and much easier) to reanimate totally using a skeleton.

What already is useful with the feature is for reference. Maybe someone worth their salt can make the first ever high-res v_shot replacement that doesn't look like a block moving up a proportionally skinny hard octagonal stick when you fire it.
i should not be here
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Right. I need to sit down and actually try it.