Trickle's Vwep Wisdom?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

Electro and I had concocted an idea for using the Tomaz Quake version of the implementation of MOVETYPE_FOLLOW (The best one I have found so far (I didn't look at darkplaces much because it is scrambled and there is barely any reference)

It would have worked well.
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

yeah sure, I'd be down for helping you Baker :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Trickle wrote:yeah sure, I'd be down for helping you Baker :)
Awesome!

This particular chore is so far out of zone of expertise it could take me 2 weeks to do what you can do in 30 minutes or an hour.

I'll locate the models and post links to them in this thread.

I really want to see vwep become a standard modding feature in Quake, some of those Team Fortress guys holding Dox weapons look cool as hell.

My theory is that if it gets used and is "in your face" more in the Quake community it will spark additional interest and the imagination that comes with that.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

sounds promising enough. I'm hoping a regular MegaTF server will have those vweps someday
Baker

Post by Baker »

Hey Trickle,

It'll probably be tomorrow before I post the weapon models and stuff. I'll have to look through and see what GPL model options are available and that'll take some time to sort through.

Just a heads up! :D

Maybe we get CSQC and vwep and all that great stuff accepted as standard in modding.

You and Avirox are like your very own R&D department!

Just curious, why aren't those models usable on standard Mega TF servers? The server operators don't want to change or something?
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

because they aren't running MVDSV or FTE
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

I'm hoping Xavior can set up one or help out if someone can host
Baker

Post by Baker »

Ok ... sorry for the delay.

If you could take this model (brigand.mdl) and make a vwep for him using the Dox g_rocketlauncher.mdl (or in fact any gun of your choice). He has an empty hand which the vwep would go into.

He's an OpenQuartz player model clone, if you need the OpenQuartz player model to visualize the weapon here is that (openquartz_player.mdl). And doing either the brigand.mdl or the Open Quartz player model works, they are essentially the same.

Then I could do some vwep experimentation and maybe make an automated generator and it'll advance the cause of getting closer to an open source modding set for Quake.
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

sorry for the late response, I've been super busy lately. with all do respect though, I'd rather kick things off with original content..unless for the mod you plan to work on would fully utilize dox's rocket launcher as a v model as well. I can work on a gun too, I noticed with this specific player mdl..the frames are all in one set. so it might take a bit to do. I noticed this player model holds the gun the whole time, if there will be effort into a real mod..I will most definitely make a vwep for it!
Baker

Post by Baker »

Trickle wrote:sorry for the late response, I've been super busy lately. with all do respect though, I'd rather kick things off with original content..unless for the mod you plan to work on would fully utilize dox's rocket launcher as a v model as well. I can work on a gun too, I noticed with this specific player mdl..the frames are all in one set. so it might take a bit to do. I noticed this player model holds the gun the whole time, if there will be effort into a real mod..I will most definitely make a vwep for it!
I've got the same player model where Lardarse renamed all the frames somewhere.

Yeah you are right, I'd rather have a GPL gun ... I'll do some more looking around. I got frustrated not being able to find a good match.

But I'll find a GPL weapon and post back.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

Just thought I'd dust this thread off in the hopes of seeing that program/script come to light : )
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

yeah, I've been busy with irl stuff. I still want vwep to be more vastly used in the quake community
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

i wish i was home so i could help :(
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

well in the meantime, I'm starting to check this forum regularly again..so I'd love to help out with my manual method. this includes you Baker, if you had any projects that involved vweps on the back burner.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

this should probably be mentioned here.

http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=2384