Trickle's Vwep Wisdom?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

yeah I'm aware, but my method guarantees no sloppiness. its cool though..I just prefer for each weapon to look right and fire without looking sluggish in the player's hands.
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

*shrugs* long as you know its there.
Karatorian

Post by Karatorian »

In regards to Baker's desire to automate this process. I have an idea that might work, although, it would require some fairly advanced programming.

The idea is to basically preprocess the the models using the MD3 attachment system. The program would load the player model and each weapon model. For each weapon, it would step through the player model frames with the weapon model attached. Then it would export the resulting weapon frames to a new model file.

So, do you think this is a viable idea?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

don't think I posted this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TuohcmfDpA

sorry if I did. visual weapons without frames, attachments, etc... are easy. took me like a day or two to figure it out.
Karatorian

Post by Karatorian »

Ok, I'll bite, how is it done?
Baker

Post by Baker »

Karatorian wrote:Ok, I'll bite, how is it done?
Error reveals his innovative secrets here:

http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=2384
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Ok, just a crazy idea that I got reading all this stuff.

What if we embed into the engine the ability to grab 2 alias models and 2 arbitrary vertex indexes from each selected model, generate a third one in memory and make this functionality available as a builtin, like this ?

Code: Select all

float weldmodels (string modela, float indexa1, float indexa2, string modelb, float indexb1, indexb2);
As a modder, I can see a lot of potential for such builtin. Not only for vwep support, but to create random monsters on the fly, or random weapons/artifacts from different parts (great for a RPG-style mod). Of course, welding different models on the fly is a bit more complicated than that, because there are things like skin mapping or framegroups to take in account, but I think is worth a try.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)