The OFFICIAL way to convert hl2 and hl1 models to quake 1 :D

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Even worse, they're called "Quake sounds" even though Quake has no announcer, and Quake isn't the origin of Unreal's memes like MONSTER KILL! Blind misinformation mania, along with those IP myths made up by the kids as an excuse to copy and paste with no inspiration. No, it is NOT okay to use and exploit stolen property (leaked beta assets) to create your new game.

If I were you, i'd immediately hit DEL on that project and start over not piggybacking on other IP.
Last edited by leileilol on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
i should not be here
Trickle

Post by Trickle »

leileilol wrote:Even worse, they're called "Quake sounds" even though Quake has no announcer, and Quake isn't the origin of Unreal's memes like MONSTER KILL! Blind misinformation mania, along with those IP myths made up by the kids as an excuse to copy and paste with no inspiration.
yup! I was going to mention that as well, no real credit given.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

It's so blind, I think i've even heard some "Quake sounds" in a WolfET clip in a Gametrailers Wolfenstein history video as if it were an official addition (though the actual sounds were UT2004 "Sexy" Announcer sounds)
i should not be here
UrbanKid

HEWWO

Post by UrbanKid »

Hello does the converting help? oh yeah DO NOT CONVERT WITH ANIMATIONS OR THE MODEL WILL BE VERY JIGGLY
leileilol

Re: HEWWO

Post by leileilol »

UrbanKid wrote:Hello does the converting help? oh yeah DO NOT CONVERT WITH ANIMATIONS OR THE MODEL WILL BE VERY JIGGLY
If you don't want the jiggly, then don't use MDL or MD2. This gets worse when there is more vertices and HL2 models often have a lot of that, so what's the point?
i should not be here
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

now I just need a standard way to convert Valve 220 map format into Quake's.

Two of us banged our heads against the wall over that one, until it worked when we took QUARK's conversion result and re-saved that in Quest to get rid of the floating point BS...

This is one reason why the WC3.3 Quake adapter is a crime. People create maps with it that can't be opened with normal editors (Radiant or Quest).

WC 3.3, Hammer and QUARK should be exterminated.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

worldcraft helps users make detailed maps with ease.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

worldcraft 3.3 saves maps in a different format than normal Quake editors. When you work in a team of mappers, and you need to modify a map that was saved from worldcraft, you will be wanting to shoot somebody.

A good mapper can build details in any map editor.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

all of the maps iv seen that havnt been made in worldcraft come no where near as nice looking or detailed and like you said a good mapper should be able to make nice detail in any editor so your argument about work between mappers shouldnt be an issue.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Whew. Stop turning around words in my mouth there.

All of them should use worldcraft, you mean? What about Linux or Mac users?

I'm pretty sure negke's maps are made in Quest, Willem's are probably made in ToeTag, and so forth. I'm also pretty sure most maps for modern games aren't made in worldcraft.

Stupid argument though, hence I'll stop.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

why not with editors like toe tag since they're developed by quake modders/developers include support for .wad files and what not? i dont mean to be disrespectful but all these other editors im sure were made by quake developers. im just saying you shouldnt label an editor as bad because its not backwards compatible with other editors that if the work was added could be compatible with it?
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

It's a lost cause.
Baker

Post by Baker »

goldenboy wrote:It's a lost cause.
Quark and NetRadiant are open source. Ask the developers to support the 220 format. It's not like they don't already support 3 versions of Quake. Both aguirRe's and LordHavoc's map compilers support Valve 220 format .. I'm sure it functions as an import in both.

I mean the 220 format has -- what? --- 19 numbers on a line for every face ... can't be that hard for them to support it ....

Code: Select all

( -384 -384 320 ) ( -384 448 320 ) ( 384 448 320 ) plat_top3 [ 1 0 0 0 ] [ 0 -1 0 0 ] 0 1 1
( -384 448 288 ) ( -384 448 320 ) ( -384 -384 320 ) plat_top3 [ 0 1 0 0 ] [ 0 0 -1 0 ] 0 1 1
This would be the proper thing to do.

Do you think people will stop downloading Worldcraft 3.3? There is no way that'd stop happening, it's far too popular.

Get Quark and NetRadiant to support the 220 format for input.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..