map2mdl?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Baker

map2mdl?

Post by Baker »

Does such a utility exist?

Something that turns a .map file into .mdl.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

um idk, but why would you need that?
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Maybe to turn explode boxes into models etc. Or to make a model of the map for radar/minimap purposes.

I'm not sure if such a utility exists, but perhaps it would be relatively easy to write for very simple cases like health boxes, exp boxes, etc...
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

think I have a mdl->map comverter somewhere. I used one once to make a huge stone statue of a quake player.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Error wrote:think I have a mdl->map comverter somewhere. I used one once to make a huge stone statue of a quake player.
Yeah I have that. But that's the wrong way.

@ceriux

I see things I could easily make in Worldcraft in 5 minutes, but would take me 3 hours in <insert any modelling app here> and then I would burn 3 days trying to compile the damn thing as Quake.mdl.

I'm thinking about taking a stab at creating one. Not now, but sometime in the future. First I would probably create a mechanism to export the raw model data stored in Quake and actually used to the clipboard for a single frame. And I'm not sure of a strategy for creating a UV map for a map2mdl type of gizmo.

But that would be a ridiculously poor use of my time if it exists already, obviously. And if does exist, well, hey I liked to have it so I can mess with it.
lth

Post by lth »

Baker,

I asked this a while ago and ended up cooking up my own not-perfect toolchain.

1. Make thing in worldcraft
2. Export as DXF
3. Scream because qMe can't import that kind of DXF
4. Load up in TruSpace 3 (abandonware if you look hard enough)
5. Save object as .cob file
6. Load in quick3dpro (shareware)
7. Save as .3ds
8. "New model from base frame" in qMe
9. Scale up massively
10. Save.

Hope that helps.