deathf?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
redrum

deathf?

Post by redrum »

Guys,
I made a new death animation, deathf, with qme 3.0.
I added all the necessary qc code, compiles with no errors.

When it's time to call for the new animation the player just stays standing?

Any tips?
Welcome to the Overlook Hotel: The-Overlook-Hotel.game-server.cc
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Error 101: Insufficient Information

Please reinput all data regarding changes. Alternately please check to ensure:

1. Modified model file is indeed in your mod directory usually under (drive):/games/quake/whateveryourmodiscalled/progs/ where whateveryourmodiscalled is the name of your mod folder and is preferably located in your quake folder.

2. Model file is being properly set in all code that sets the model in question as the model to use.

3. Ensure that either A. framemacros are defined in your file and are used or if no framemacros are used then B. ensure that animation is both defined properly and is called where it should be.

4. Ensure that your progs.dat is indeed compiling and is in the root of your mod folder.

5. Ensure you start your quake engine with the parameter -game whateveryourmodiscalled, where whateveryourmodiscalled is whatever the name of your mod directory is.

Thank you and have a safe and pleasant modding session.

Seriously though, we need more information than that. :P
Wazat

Re: deathf?

Post by Wazat »

redrum wrote:Guys,
I made a new death animation, deathf, with qme 3.0.
I added all the necessary qc code, compiles with no errors.

When it's time to call for the new animation the player just stays standing?

Any tips?
Sounds like instead of playing dying animations, the player stays standing even though he is "dead". Right?

Make sure you have the frame macros ($deathf1 etc). Then make sure you have the animation function(s) set up to use the frames. You can place bprint statements in them temporarily to prove they're being called. You can even change the player die function so that, temporarily for testing, it always calls the new death animations so you can see it work every time a bot dies. (remove the bprints and test code in player die when done)

If all the code appears to be working as expected, make sure your new player model is in the right place. Relative to your progs.dat, it should be in progs/player.mdl. Make sure the animations you added are also where they should be. The frame macros you set up in the QC file need to be in the exact same order as the model's frames.

Try those steps and let us know if that helps.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
redrum

Post by redrum »

The frame macros you set up in the QC file need to be in the exact same order as the model's frames.
That was it, I was out of order!

Thanks guys. I'll probably have more questions about this stuff, I'm more of a coder than a modeler.

I'd like you to check out my QW mod "The Overlook Hotel".
Let me know what you think.

Thanks again.
lth

Post by lth »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Error 101: Insufficient Information

Please reinput all data regarding changes. Alternately please check to ensure:

1. Modified model file is indeed in your mod directory usually under (drive):/games/quake/whateveryourmodiscalled/progs/ where whateveryourmodiscalled is the name of your mod folder and is preferably located in your quake folder.

2. Model file is being properly set in all code that sets the model in question as the model to use.

3. Ensure that either A. framemacros are defined in your file and are used or if no framemacros are used then B. ensure that animation is both defined properly and is called where it should be.

4. Ensure that your progs.dat is indeed compiling and is in the root of your mod folder.

5. Ensure you start your quake engine with the parameter -game whateveryourmodiscalled, where whateveryourmodiscalled is whatever the name of your mod directory is.

Thank you and have a safe and pleasant modding session.

Seriously though, we need more information than that. :P
ERROR 102: Being a dick to newbies. Perhaps you need to try being less condescending?
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

he cant hes a robot
bah
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

lth wrote:ERROR 102: Being a dick to newbies. Perhaps you need to try being less condescending?
ERROR 103: Being a dick to a dick. Perhaps you need to try a different approach?
lth

Post by lth »

Only trying to speak his language :)

Seriously though, someone new comes along, posts a pretty reasonable request for help, and gets that response? It might be helpful but it's not very nice.

Wazat on the other hand actually managed to diagnose the problem without talking down to anyone. You'll notice that he did it even though there was "insufficient information" :)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

C'mon guys, good old Doc was just joking.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

lth: First off, as frag machine says, I was joking. (Note that I'm actually attempting to spoof both canned automated phone support systems as well as the tram narrator from Half-Life's opening)

Second, pay close attention to redrum's post count. (354) Now explain to me how exactly can he be a newbie? Especially after he says "I'm more of a coder than a modeler"?

Third, it's annoying when actual newbs as well as people who should know better start coming in here and go "ZOMG, somebodys helpz0r me plz, I haves this problem 'kthxbai" without properly elaborating on what the heck it actually is that he's doing, thereby requiring somebody to waste time asking to see the code in question, instead of actually solving the question in the first place. Is that really so unreasonable? A perfect case in point is with ceriux's topic regarding a basic NPC. He posted the entire code in question, and got the code back all fixed up nice, with the extra kicker of having it commented so he can learn from it on top of it all.

Fourth, while the post was intentionally done dick style for lolz, it actually DOES cover what Wazat elucidated on.

Fifth, I completely understand what your saying, why your saying it, and I also fully support what you said and am not at all offended by you saying it. :D
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:lth: First off, as frag machine says, I was joking. (Note that I'm actually attempting to spoof both canned automated phone support systems as well as the tram narrator from Half-Life's opening)

Second, pay close attention to redrum's post count. (354) Now explain to me how exactly can he be a newbie? Especially after he says "I'm more of a coder than a modeler"?

Third, it's annoying when actual newbs as well as people who should know better start coming in here and go "ZOMG, somebodys helpz0r me plz, I haves this problem 'kthxbai" without properly elaborating on what the heck it actually is that he's doing, thereby requiring somebody to waste time asking to see the code in question, instead of actually solving the question in the first place. Is that really so unreasonable? A perfect case in point is with ceriux's topic regarding a basic NPC. He posted the entire code in question, and got the code back all fixed up nice, with the extra kicker of having it commented so he can learn from it on top of it all.

Fourth, while the post was intentionally done dick style for lolz, it actually DOES cover what Wazat elucidated on.

Fifth, I completely understand what your saying, why your saying it, and I also fully support what you said and am not at all offended by you saying it. :D
ERROR 104: Being a dick to a dick being a dick to a dick being a dick to a dick. Time paradox.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Well, let's just cool off then instead of letting this escalate into a flame war. The original post was a bit limited in information, but the doc and I were able to infer enough information to give the tips he was asking for. If those didn't help, he could have provided more info.

Shadowborg's post could easily be taken as offensive, or it could easily be funny. Part of why I replied is because I was worried redrum would feel he was being insulted and leave, which was certainly not shadow's intention.

In the future, if a poster doesn't provide enough info we can just ask for it in a straight-forward manner, and/or give tips based on the info we do have. The helpfulness of a response tends to be proportional to the helpfulness of the request. In the world of information, you tend to get what you give. :)
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
redrum

Post by redrum »

Redrum thinks this has been blown way out of proportion.

I was not offended by Docs reply, he has helped me many times in the past, and I agree that I supplied limited info. I just wanted to get a couple tips so I could figure it out on my own. I don't like having answers handed to me on a silver platter.

BTW I still consider myself a newbie!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Downsider wrote:
Dr. Shadowborg wrote:lth: First off, as frag machine says, I was joking. (Note that I'm actually attempting to spoof both canned automated phone support systems as well as the tram narrator from Half-Life's opening)

ERROR 104: Being a dick to a dick being a dick to a dick being a dick to a dick. Time paradox.
ERROR 666: recursive dick behavior detected, aborting
STACK OVERFLOW
OutOfMemoryException
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)