I have got hknight permission but got one problem

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
lukas2288

I have got hknight permission but got one problem

Post by lukas2288 »

So i have got a hellknight model permission.I have already code him but when i load the model in-game the axe is visible on the left side but on thel right side not.Here is picture so can somebody help me how can i fix this problem?
________
Honda Ct70
Last edited by lukas2288 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Holy crap, that is amazing.

Seems like an alpha transparency issue to me (also on his "wings"). Maybe the texture for the axe blades is only applied to one side or the other side is transparent in the texture because of some error?

PS: Would you be awesome and write a tutorial on how to get UT3 models into (that format you are using) with all the code (are those the animations?) and stuff? It would be a great initiative.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Spike

Post by Spike »

you need to disable culling for that polygon.
cos glquake only draws one side of it.

If you're using an engine that supports q3 shaders, you can set the axe as a separate (md3?) surface and disable culling individually. You can also set the wings+axe to be alpha tested or blended... or both.

On the other hand, the generic way to fix that is to add an extra polygon facing the other way, but you may want to be lazy and set gl_cull 0. Which is really lame, and it won't fix the huge blocks of blackness.

Basically the engine assumes that its a fully enclosed, fully solid model. With original glquake there is no way to tell it otherwise.
With DP+FTE you can use a q3 shader to fix it. With other custom engines you might be able to set .alpha to 0.99 or something high that isn't quite 1 in order to encourage it to blend away the blackness.
gl_cull will affect how every model is drawn, of course. Not just yours.
lukas2288

Post by lukas2288 »

Spirit wrote:Holy crap, that is amazing.

Seems like an alpha transparency issue to me (also on his "wings"). Maybe the texture for the axe blades is only applied to one side or the other side is transparent in the texture because of some error?

PS: Would you be awesome and write a tutorial on how to get UT3 models into (that format you are using) with all the code (are those the animations?) and stuff? It would be a great initiative.
Extract from animations folder models with "umodel" into md5 format,pone the md5mesh and each of md5anim in 3d studio max with md5 import plugin.Export them into half life smd(needs export plugin) and with dpmodel convert them to md3 or dpm.
________
Kitchen Measures
Last edited by lukas2288 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
lukas2288

Post by lukas2288 »

Spike wrote:you need to disable culling for that polygon.
cos glquake only draws one side of it.

If you're using an engine that supports q3 shaders, you can set the axe as a separate (md3?) surface and disable culling individually. You can also set the wings+axe to be alpha tested or blended... or both.

On the other hand, the generic way to fix that is to add an extra polygon facing the other way, but you may want to be lazy and set gl_cull 0. Which is really lame, and it won't fix the huge blocks of blackness.

Basically the engine assumes that its a fully enclosed, fully solid model. With original glquake there is no way to tell it otherwise.
With DP+FTE you can use a q3 shader to fix it. With other custom engines you might be able to set .alpha to 0.99 or something high that isn't quite 1 in order to encourage it to blend away the blackness.
gl_cull will affect how every model is drawn, of course. Not just yours.
If i send to you the model can you make it please?Or how can i set the q3shader?It is in md3 format.
________
Crop Insurance Dicussion