md3

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Chip

md3

Post by Chip »

I have a 3d model created with qME and I would like to convert it to md3 to use it with Darkplaces. I tried Milkshape and I tried Quark.

DP won't see the md3. It reverts to the original mdl. If I delete the mdl file, it will only see a multicoloured cube (you know, when a model is missing).

How can I convert a mdl to md3 and use it successfully with DP? I am using the latest stable version of DP. I have this problem only with models converted by me. mdl work fine, other md3 work fine, so it's something I'm doing wrong.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Can you post the md3 (or just another one you converted that does not work) somewhere so we can look at it?
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

My method of making md3s is to save to smd format from 3ds max, then use LordHavoc's dpmodel.exe to convert to md3.
Apathy Now!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

MauveBib wrote:My method of making md3s is to save to smd format from 3ds max, then use LordHavoc's dpmodel.exe to convert to md3.
lol doesnt that convert to dpm? which is better than md3? (from what iv been told)
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

It converts to dpm and md3
Apathy Now!
Chip

Post by Chip »

I'll try using 3DS Max to save it as smd. If it's not working I'll post the md3.

I'll have to find a way to import the mdl into 3dsmax. Yup, just opened 3dsmax and see there's no smd export option. There must be a plugin somewhere. Do you know any?

There must be other options to convert a mdl to md3.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Zylyx_

Post by Zylyx_ »

Am I the only one that notices that you have to rename the EXTENSION of your .md3 to .mdl. RTFM!!! LOL.

From LorHavoc's website:
same as in Quake, you can replace a model with exactly the same file name (including file extension), so for example an md3 player model has to be renamed progs/player.mdl, and a small box of shells in md3 format has to be renamed maps/b_shell0.bsp
And also:
These files use the same format as the ones in Quake3 (except being named modelname_0.skin, modelname_1.skin, and so on), they specify what texture to use on each part of the md3 (or zym or dpm or psk) model, their contents look like the following...
torso,progs/player_default.tga says that the model part named "torso" should use the image progs/player_default.tga
gun,progs/player_default.tga says that the model part named "gun" should use the image progs/player_default.tga
muzzleflash,progs/player_default_muzzleflash.tga says that the model part named "muzzleflash" should use the image progs/player_default_muzzleflash.tga - this is useful for transparent skin areas which should be kept separate from opaque skins
tag_head, says that the first tag is named "tag_head" - this is only useful for QuakeC mods using segmented player models so that they can look up/down without their legs rotating, don't worry about it as a user
tag_torso, second tag name
tag_weapon, third tag name
And finally:

Example list of filenames

quake/id1/progs/player.mdl replaces the player model)
quake/id1/progs/player.mdl_0.skin text file that specifies textures to use on an md3 model)
quake/id1/progs/player_default.tga texture referenced by the .skin, make sure that any special parts of this are black, like pants should be black here otherwise you get pink pants when you use a red color ingame)
quake/id1/progs/player_default_pants.tga white pants area of the skin, this is colored by the engine according to your color settings, additive blended (which is called "Screen" mode in Photoshop if you wish to preview the layers))
quake/id1/progs/player_default_shirt.tga white shirt area of the skin, similar to pants described above)
quake/id1/progs/player_default_norm.tga normalmap texture for player_default, alpha channel can contain a heightmap for offsetmapping (r_glsl_offsetmapping 1 in console) to use, alternatively you can use _bump.tga instead of this which is only a heightmap and the engine will generate the normalmap for you)
quake/id1/progs/player_default_gloss.tga glossmap (shiny areas) for player_default)
quake/id1/progs/player_default_glow.tga glowmap (glowing stuff) for player_default, this is fullbrights and such, be sure the corresponding pixels are black in the player_default.tga, because just like pants/shirt this is additive blended)
quake/id1/textures/quake.tga replaces the quake logo on the arch in start.bsp)
quake/id1/textures/quake_norm.tga same as for a player)
quake/id1/textures/quake_gloss.tga same as for a player)
quake/id1/textures/#water1.tga replaces *water1 texture in the maps, # is used instead of * in filenames)
quake/id1/gfx/conchars.tga replacement font image, this was in gfx.wad in quake)
quake/id1/gfx/conback.tga replacement console background, just like in quake)
quake/id1/gfx/mainmenu.tga replacement main menu image, just like in quake)
quake/id1/maps/b_bh25.bsp replacement for normal health pack, for example this could be an md3 model instead)
quake/id1/sound/cdtracks/002.ogg replacement track for "cd loop 2"
quake/id1/sound/cdtracks/003.ogg replacement track for "cd loop 3"
[/quote]
....noodle...
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Zylyx_: You only have to rename it to .mdl if you don't edit the qc.
Apathy Now!
Chip

Post by Chip »

Hey guys, it's the other way around. I want to convert FROM mdl TO md3.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

I don't really understand why you'd want to convert from mdl to md3. The damage has already been done by saving in mdl format - the precision is lost. It won't magically get better by making it an md3 at this stage.
Apathy Now!
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

MauveBib wrote:I don't really understand why you'd want to convert from mdl to md3. The damage has already been done by saving in mdl format - the precision is lost. It won't magically get better by making it an md3 at this stage.
Well, maybe since he made the thing in qME to begin with (meaning it started life already AS a .mdl), he might want to convert it to .md3 for whatever reason? (like, maybe not starting from scratch again?) :wink:
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:
MauveBib wrote:I don't really understand why you'd want to convert from mdl to md3. The damage has already been done by saving in mdl format - the precision is lost. It won't magically get better by making it an md3 at this stage.
Well, maybe since he made the thing in qME to begin with (meaning it started life already AS a .mdl), he might want to convert it to .md3 for whatever reason? (like, maybe not starting from scratch again?) :wink:
If you go through mdl at any point you might as well stay there, there's no benefit to changing format at that point. The damage is done, the precision is lost, and I can't think why you'd then convert to md3.
Apathy Now!
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

MauveBib wrote: If you go through mdl at any point you might as well stay there, there's no benefit to changing format at that point. The damage is done, the precision is lost, and I can't think why you'd then convert to md3.

What I WAS getting at was that you can feed it to one of the more modern modelling programs via importer, and from there fix the precision errors / reanimate with bones, etc. finally re-exporting to .md3...

At the very least, I can see the reasoning with saving time on having to remodel and UV the model, all he would have to do is fix the base frame precision errors, add bones, re-animate it, and that's it. (as opposed to redoing the mesh, UV AND animations from scratch...which I would imagine would be total ugh.)
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Dr. S: I see your point, but that's not what he's asking. He's looking for direct mdl to md3 conversion, which is pretty much pointless as far as I can see.
Apathy Now!
Chip

Post by Chip »

I know that some engines display mdl weapons with a slight wobbling effect, which does not appear on md3 models. The mdl mesh is already there, I'll improve it by adding more details to it and then save it as md3.

At this stage of my mod I need the md3 for weapons only. So I don't need bones and stuff. The animation is smoother and the models look more detailed.

That's all.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays