custom monster models

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Mneh, its not too hard to support md3 in SW rendering...

But yeah, md3 if you want a nice model. mdl if you want it to work in proquake/ezquake/'faithful' engines/limited ram environments.

Md2 is worse for vertex swimming, tbh.

But really, as a modeller, you probably want your model looking good. And that means md3 or above.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

MauveBib wrote:Which are only really used on portables these days. Seriously, who doesn't have a 3d card?
Well, most people do, but us wierdos that like to have our quake in the classic software style rarely use those fancypants 3d card required engines, and as such prefer to use things like WinQuake, MakaQu, AugQuake, etc. (mostly because we feel that quake looks and feels it's best in software, strange as that might sound) :P
Spike wrote:Mneh, its not too hard to support md3 in SW rendering...
Make a tutorial on how to do it in a stock winquake engine, with support for tags, and that would be awesome. I know I'd use it at the very least... :D
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:
MauveBib wrote:Which are only really used on portables these days. Seriously, who doesn't have a 3d card?
Well, most people do, but us wierdos that like to have our quake in the classic software style rarely use those fancypants 3d card required engines, and as such prefer to use things like WinQuake, MakaQu, AugQuake, etc. (mostly because we feel that quake looks and feels it's best in software, strange as that might sound) :P
You are of course perfectly entitled to do so, but you must recognise that this means a lot of modern mods will not support your choice. Just because you choose to limit yourself doesn't mean most modders should do the same in order to preserve support.
Apathy Now!
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

MauveBib wrote: You are of course perfectly entitled to do so, but you must recognise that this means a lot of modern mods will not support your choice. Just because you choose to limit yourself doesn't mean most modders should do the same in order to preserve support.
True enough, but that doesn't mean he should just toss the perfectly good .mdl he already has, now does it?

If this is going to be a general plug-in type monster, then most definitely there should be a .mdl provided with .md3 optional, because the whole point of plug-in type monsters is that they actually be USED. I seriously doubt that a mapper is going to particularly appreciate a plug-in monster that's only going to be locked into a select number of engines that support a given model format.

Don't misunderstand me, if this is going to be for only his mod, and that mod is meant to only be used on DP, then that's fine, but if he wants other people to use it in their mods (from what I gather, this is what the case is, but if I'm mistaken, then feel free to ignore me), then he should provide as many options as possible for as wide a range of flexibility as possible. For reasons of making it more attractive for both portable / software wierdos to ultra-high end users.

Going back to the topic of that follow up youtube, the models are looking GREAT lukas2288!
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Isn't there the problem that mdl looses precision on each save/load too? If so, it would be a better idea to use a different format for work and then export to mdl in the end.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Urre

Post by Urre »

The robot looks very familiar, and from the sounds of what lukas said...
The models is from ut2004...
That isn't limited to the weapons, or am I being silly?
I was once a Quake modder
lukas2288

Post by lukas2288 »

Urre wrote:The robot looks very familiar, and from the sounds of what lukas said...
The models is from ut2004...
That isn't limited to the weapons, or am I being silly?
What isn´t limited to?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

The shotgun's definitely UT3 Link Gun, soldier is a UT2004 robot indeed. The shotgun is very UT2004 as well. No idea what the dog is, but I can tell for certain every new model here is not original work.
i should not be here
Zylyx_

Post by Zylyx_ »

Without discrediting the person who started thsi thread, i couldnt really see any original models in that video. The weapons are definately UT 3 (seeing as I played the gamer 5 mins ago), and the dog/grunt models also look very familiar.

Post some actual renders if you can. Would be nice :).

Oh, and you probably know this, but many places like moddb and so on will flame you shitless if you present work that is not yours. Just saying! :)
....noodle...
lukas2288

Post by lukas2288 »

Zylyx_ wrote:Without discrediting the person who started thsi thread, i couldnt really see any original models in that video. The weapons are definately UT 3 (seeing as I played the gamer 5 mins ago), and the dog/grunt models also look very familiar.

Post some actual renders if you can. Would be nice :).

Oh, and you probably know this, but many places like moddb and so on will flame you shitless if you present work that is not yours. Just saying! :)
i don not say that this models is mine.I wrote that i made 2 new monster models for quake.But not create.I only create qc code to work this.
Zylyx_

Post by Zylyx_ »

Ok, cool due. But then the post should be in the QC coding section, I guess. Anyways, good work :).
....noodle...
lukas2288

Post by lukas2288 »

Zylyx_ wrote:Ok, cool due. But then the post should be in the QC coding section, I guess. Anyways, good work :).
It is OK.That was my mistake.I can upload the second 1 minute video with mercmale model and with the robot model.But the merc model has some bugs on walk.I must fix it but today i haven not got much time maybe on thursday.
________
Dc Medical Marijuana Dispensary
Last edited by lukas2288 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

lukas2288 wrote:i don not say that this models is mine.I wrote that i made 2 new monster models for quake.But not create.I only create qc code to work this.
Saying that you made it is the same as saying you created it. In future please be clear if the models are not your work.
Apathy Now!
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

lukas2288 wrote:i don not say that this models is mine.I wrote that i made 2 new monster models for quake.But not create.I only create qc code to work this.
Saying that you made it is the same as saying you created it. In future please be clear if the models are not your work.
Apathy Now!
lukas2288

Post by lukas2288 »

So some peoples say that md3 is better format.Can you tell me how can i convert it to md3.I use quark for md3 export but darkplaces does not read this file.
________
TOYOTA G ENGINE
Last edited by lukas2288 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.