frogman

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Madfox

frogman

Post by Madfox »

I made a new model for Quake1 as I thought the waters are a bit easy to dwell around.
Purpose is a model that wears a harpoon and dwells around in the water and has also the strength to come out of the water and chase the player on land.

As my Qc properties are very poor I was glad to find the playerswim tutorial here on Inside3D!
But my queastion is: how do I intergrate this monster in Quake?
I had some ideas, but most get "drowned" on the fact that a monster in water only chase the player straight lined on the water surface.
When the player goes deeper the attack stops. Also making it getting out and in the water is quiet a carrot for a greenhorn like me.

here's a first impression of the creature:
http://members.home.nl/gimli/frogman.gif
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

do you plan on texturing him anytime soon? last time i saw him was on func, i think that's the same picture. ;}
bah
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

looks pretty cool, hmm why dont u look at the ai for one of the other monsters and mix it with the other codes your looking at?
Zylyx_

Post by Zylyx_ »

What is he holding in his hands?
....noodle...
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

i believe its a harpoon gun >:}
bah
Madfox

Post by Madfox »

I started texturing but having a good base frame is a first condition.
i could show some but that would spoil the final release.

The problem with the ai from other monsters is that they all are on land, in air or in the water. So I have to que the quake.qc on another way by changing the onland/inwater parts. I have them sepperated as two monsters, both in their own environnement.

Maybe you've been aware of fishes in walls etc, which indicates the problem of forcing quake's progs.dat right. I have a first hint with the playerswim tut.

In his hands is something to shoot, not sure. Arrows have another boost in water than on land.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

you should give him a machete for in water and the harpoon for on land/above water.
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

hmm for water-to-land, the only time i've seen that in action was on the FvF server (fvf.servequake.com < if this links don't click on it use this one : http://fvfonline.com/) where the mod-master (Gunter) enhanced the ai of all the monsters ...and shit. he's a hard guy to catch and i've only communicated with him in-game.

...oh i suppose you can ask him how he did it, but he wont surrender his source, i've asked... ;}
bah
Madfox

Post by Madfox »

Which makes me bounce back to my first question:

how do I intergrate this monster in Quake?