quake model to bsp?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Biodude

quake model to bsp?

Post by Biodude »

Hey, like the shells and nails on the quake 1 maps, they are in the maps folder, in bsp format.

How can I make a model into this format?

thanks guys. Also, I am looking for someone who can edit quake 1's lmp files- a gfx guy
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Oddly, .bsp is the mapping format for quake. Technically the ammo box models are actually maps, loaded up inside other maps!

Any mapping software can be used, but .bsp models are really not recommended. If you're using any kind of modern engine you can rename a model to whatever.bsp to replace the ammo models and it'll work fine.
Apathy Now!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

they're bsps because of perspective and no lighting.
i should not be here
r00k

Post by r00k »

I thought that was the residual effect of using a bsp in a bsp. I thought the original reason they left them .bsp was because Romero already made them and they were too lazy to make new "boxes" in the newly developed mdl format? On a side note it would be kinda cool to make modular .bsp objects to create a small entire map to play on.
Biodude

Post by Biodude »

ok, thanks for the help guys :)
siska.robert

bsp models

Post by siska.robert »

I think, that it could have reason sometimes. For example, in my portal_gun mod I used bsp models so I could use teleport texture easily.
Chip

Post by Chip »

r00k wrote:[...] On a side note it would be kinda cool to make modular .bsp objects to create a small entire map to play on.
Qoole had prefabs. Really cool. Stairs, lighting fixtures, gates, walls, and even more. They were created in a proprietary format (qle) and imported as objects into the map. Pretty easy.

Too bad Qoole is not supported and changed with improved map specifications (i.e. for modern Quake clients).

Hey, the Qoole source is public! Anyone up to the challenge?
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I actually map using Qoole 99 (a modified qoole). It's a crap ton better, but still shunned by most "professional mappers".

I just love the interface. It works well at what it does.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

.bsp format cannot be animated, and probably has a few other inadequacies (though it probably has advantages I don't know about). It has one advantage in that the animated textures etc all work (and independently from each other, I assume). You might be able to do things like light it etc, though I don't know how well that works with the lights in the map the bsp model lives in.

The other advantage with the bsp format is objects with bsp models can have movetype push in Stock Quake.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

..I actually bought Qoole 2.50. It's a shame they never fixed the floating-point issues they had even with in the Qoole 99 code base.
Error wrote:I actually map using Qoole 99 (a modified qoole).