First Quake mdl question

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
asdqwe

First Quake mdl question

Post by asdqwe »

I'm trying to make my 1st animated Quake model. Could someone tell me, step-by-step, how to do it starting in 3ds Max or GMAX, naming some softwares along the way? Or point me to a tutorial?
________
Lamborghini islero specifications
Last edited by asdqwe on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

You won't find any tutorials on making a quake model in MAX, but that doesn't matter. The same principles apply no matter what game you are modelling for, so look up any 3ds max modelling tutorial (and there are thousands).

Here is an excellent step-by-step character modelling tutorial for max: http://www.bakaneko.com/howto/computer/ ... age01.html

Once you have it modelled and animated in max you'll need to export to mdl, but that's a way off yet.
Apathy Now!
asdqwe

Post by asdqwe »

I _already_ know how to model & animate in MAX. What I need to know is how to convert my 3ds max file to a mdl.
I'd like to know the whole workflow of getting an _animated_ mdl.
________
Penny Stock
Last edited by asdqwe on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

get blender and import your obj file into it get the mdl exporter for blender then read the tutorial on how to export to mdl from blender easiest way iv found.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Or there is a commercial md2 exporter for max called qtip, and it's easy to convert from md2 to mdl maintaining the animations.
Apathy Now!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

oh well what ever i make ends up in milkshape -.-
then to either blender or to md3
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Personally I export to smd (hl 1 format) then use dpmodel to convert to md3.
Apathy Now!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

milkshape animates in smd format and compiles using qc files.
asdqwe

Post by asdqwe »

Thanks to all! But I did it via Modelgen and Texmake. I got an animated mdl file.

... now I have another question: I need to create a skin that fits on the model. Is there any unwrap facility that shows the seam lines between the skin and the black background? QME 2.3 has it but when I export the texture to edit it in some program, it doesn't save the seam lines. And I don't want to paint on the model, like in QME 3.
________
Suzuki H engine specifications
Last edited by asdqwe on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

your supposed to make the uv's before you compile it into a mdl. i use lithunwrap
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Qme has an option to paint the UV lines on the skin.

Personally I use Max to do it though, it's an option in the built in UV unwrapper.
Apathy Now!
asdqwe

Post by asdqwe »

I've tried the Paint Triangles option and it's not showing them correctly- there are stray pixels that aren't part of any polygon.
________
vaporizers
Last edited by asdqwe on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Yeah it's not perfect. As i said, I save them from max myself.
Apathy Now!
Spike

Post by Spike »

asdqwe wrote:I've tried the Paint Triangles option and it's not showing them correctly- there are stray pixels that aren't part of any polygon.
Presumably that means that there are stray verticies/tris that are not part of your model too?

Quake models have an extra 'side' flag on verticies, which adds half the width of the skin to the horizontal texture coord (whatever you want to call it) (technical note: reusing a vertex but with a different tex coord speeds up sw rendering slightly. It has no effect in GL).
Thus for an authentic model, you use half the skin for the front of your model, and half the skin for the back of it.
Of course it all works fine if you completely ignore the back-facing vert flags, so long as you keep the flags clear.