Hellknight remake

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

I see what you mean about the leg bend, but I'm pretty happy with the helmet design. It's tricky to come up with something plausible that also matches the weirdly shaped original as closely as possible
Apathy Now!
Urre

Post by Urre »

You should post some screenies of the two (new and original) next to eachother, with the original textured
I was once a Quake modder
asdqwe

Post by asdqwe »

@ MauveBib:
- Are you modeling in 3ds max or other package?
- What filetype are you saving it to (3ds, asc etc)?
- How do you implement animation? (Not in the original program, but how does the animation make it into mdl format).
________
iphone games
Last edited by asdqwe on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Yes I'm modelling in max, saving in the native max format, then exporting to half life smds for each animation, which are compiled into an md3 by LordHavoc's dpmodel program.

I'm not using mdl format.
Apathy Now!
Electro

Post by Electro »

I second Urre's most recent post. Mauve if you like I can do a paintover for you on your mesh to help guide you? Good progress so far though :)

I can also give you a breakdown of my workflow if you wanted to try out something like what I do.

It'd be great to get all the Quake models redone up nice ;)
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

I'd love to know your workflow, yeah :)

Obviously I have no delusions that I'm capable of anything in the region that you are, and this is as much a learning project as anything, as I've done very little modelling at this sort of polycount.
Apathy Now!