how do i convert multipart md3 to mdl?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
hondobondo

how do i convert multipart md3 to mdl?

Post by hondobondo »

i have an md3 that has three skins. one model, three skins. how do i convert to mdl? i can convert it fine but the skin is borked. i use misfit model to convert to md2, then read it in quark and it looks like the skin for one part is imposed over the other part... HELP!
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

well, i recently acquired the latest build of QuArK, and in this version the skin(s) that belong to the model only have to be converted to 8-bit quality, and when you do save-as md3 it contains all the stuff you need/needed

but there is one problem, while you can load it into QME just fine........(JUST Fine!).........err Oh, when you load it into quake (i use glpro399...was it y? glpro3.99y?) it will report back that the skin size es muy grande n es mal. so some how in some way you have to shrinks the skinz doon to ze korrekt size, maybe before the conversion? i don't know yet :S
bah
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

just use blender , and import your model before its in md3 format and save it as mdl straight from blender.
hondobondo

blender

Post by hondobondo »

blender has mdl export?
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

yep there's a thread here on it ... lemme find it real quick.

here ya go: http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=1210

it really should be stickied . :wink:
hondobondo

Post by hondobondo »

much graces
hondobondo

HEY

Post by hondobondo »

hey ceriux, leilei's tut says the model has to have one skin. this model requires three skins. i need to find some way to merge the three skins into one and have the software fit that to the model before i export to mdl
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

compile the mdl with only 1 skin, then import the others using qme. now if your talking about having a different skin for each group on the model i dont think thats possible. you would have to code each piece of your model in seperately i think, if you understand what i mean.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

There's a commercial md2 exporter called QTip for 3ds max that can merge multiskin models onto a single skin, but the results are pretty poor.
Apathy Now!
hondobondo

got it

Post by hondobondo »

i figured it out using misfit model. i imported a skin with the pieces already put together, selected corresponding faces, then realigned the texture coordinates. save as md2, then convert to mdl with quark. easier than i thought! HUZZAH!
MeTcHsteekle

Re: got it

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

hondobondo wrote:i figured it out using misfit model. i imported a skin with the pieces already put together, selected corresponding faces, then realigned the texture coordinates. save as md2, then convert to mdl with quark. easier than i thought! HUZZAH!
:D<YAY)
bah
leileilol

Re: got it

Post by leileilol »

leileilol wrote:ALSO NOTE: Only one object can be exported. There is NO support for multiple models! Though if you're lazy, and you don't care about how jumbled the UVs will get, you can Join two objects and then go in the UV/Image Editor and find the "Consolidate into one image" button. There will spare you the EFFORT of HAVING to copy and paste! You paster.
:roll: