Hexen 2 exporting textures

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
DIGI_Byte

Hexen 2 exporting textures

Post by DIGI_Byte »

For a quake 1 mod called Hexen 2 I'm trying to export textures into .tga files from both maps and models for an "open mod"

I downloaded some tools and after a few hours I found how to extract textures from the .bsp .pak and .wad files
I can export into .pcx .mm .tga
how ever I get this in the quake tools and as the final export. I don't know how to fix it.
Its should be a grayish stone work with gold and red trimmings

I'm trying to extract numerous textures from the game how ever I keep on meeting this obstacle
Spike

Post by Spike »

Quake tools presumably use the quake palette instead of the hexen2 palette. The two games have very different palettes.
Unless the tool supports you telling it which palette to use, there's not much you can do other than to replace the palette in the output file.
However, most imaging tools will simply convert to the new palette based on the old. Which is bad.
adquedit might have an option to specify the palette. Not sure about that.

Also, consider the legality of using content for one game inside another.
DIGI_Byte

Post by DIGI_Byte »

I'm respecting the content in its entirety and it wont be breaching any copyright issues.

I have downloaded what appears to be a Hexen 2 pallet file but photoshop doesn't recognize it so it might be a dead end
DIGI_Byte

Post by DIGI_Byte »

I found a solution, After some Google, relising that hexen 2 has a different palette
I extracted the palett from the pak0.pak/gfx/
and replaced one of the quake exporter tools palett

Thank Spike, I assumed the paletts where embedded in the game engine and didn't apply to the extractors