Need some help importing models into Quake 1

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Muki Hyena

Need some help importing models into Quake 1

Post by Muki Hyena »

Sup guys, new to the forums, looking for help.

Okay. So far I've managed to extract an MDL from Blender, fully animated and everything.

This is the current model:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/ ... eframe.png
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/ ... aingod.png

However, the console in Blender gives me the following errors when I try to extract the MDL:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/ ... lender.png

So I ignore it, and attempt to get it into qME, and I'm somewhat sucessful, except for some crazy thing going on with the polygons:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/ ... wtfmdl.png

Also, is there some console command I need to imput in a CFG? The MDL seems to be at least usable, and I've tested it and other MDLs in /ID/Progs/ and they don't show up in game.

I followed Leileilol's model importing tutorial to the fullest, word for word, yet the models don't show up in game.

If anybody could link me to some good tutorial sites, that would help as well.

I feel so close to having this in game, but these hold backs are killing me... Thanks for any help in advance.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Quite honestly, I don't have a clue, I usually don't dwelve in these kinds of things, but what I can see, is that you get a warning for having unused vertices in the model. This might cause QME to freak out, and not know which polygons to attach to which vertices.

Make sure you don't have any dangling vertices around, only keep the ones you're actually using.

Also, I'm not sure the .mdl format will love your model, it looks a tad detailed, something you might lose when all the wobblyness kicks in. Thinking about it, you might be fine, but it'd still look better if you exported it to say... md3, and used a modern Quake engine which supports that format, if that's an option.
I was once a Quake modder
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

Nice Halo pistol, is this for that PSP Halo mod?
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Just guessing but the wierd appearance problem is probably related to that 280 or so vertexes with no face warning. As for getting it to show ingame you need to either a: make a mod that will show it, or b: rename the model to something that will usually show up in game anyway. (such as g_shot.mdl for the super shotgun, etc.)

Note that you may need to play around with the model a little to make it look good or even show up. (i.e. move model up in qme)
vicious1988

Post by vicious1988 »

Ya, those 280 unassigned vertices are causing it. I've gotten this problem with ported models several times. You'll either need to try converting it again (which usually doesn't work) or delete those unassigned vertices. Some programs add faces to compensate, some warn you and give an error, and others will remove them on export (I think ms3d does this).
Baker

Post by Baker »

What is an unassigned vertice?

Does this only occur with someone trying to port a model or can it happen when making your own model as well?
Muki Hyena

Post by Muki Hyena »

RenegadeC wrote:Nice Halo pistol, is this for that PSP Halo mod?
Actually that mod inspired me to make my own Halo pistol for Quake to play on my Wii after hearing it won't be released for any other platform. Lol.

... Honestly that's the first model I've ever attempted to make to completion.
Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Just guessing but the wierd appearance problem is probably related to that 280 or so vertexes with no face warning. As for getting it to show ingame you need to either a: make a mod that will show it, or b: rename the model to something that will usually show up in game anyway. (such as g_shot.mdl for the super shotgun, etc.)

Note that you may need to play around with the model a little to make it look good or even show up. (i.e. move model up in qme)
Oh, so it's g_shot.mdl? I another test model (an animated block) saved as v_shot.mdl in id1/progs/, and that didn't show up, so I'll try g_shot.mdl.

Also, the vertices... I don't know where they are. I honestly don't. My model looks clean, I move parts around and I don't see any stray vertices anywhere. And 250 is quite a bit. Is there some option in Blender to select free vertices?

I think it may be caused by the mirror modifier I have. I'll see if that does anything.

E:

Okay, so this is really wierd, I must be fubaring something.

I made a test MDL with a very basic animation. Here it is in QME:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/ ... wtfqme.png

It all looks good, right? This is the directory I have it put in:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/ ... fprogs.png

When I load up QuakeGL.exe in the c:\QUAKE directory and pick up the Super Shotgun from the beginning of the third level, I have the original Super Shotgun model.

Everything seems to be in order, I don't see why the test model wouldn't appear in Quake. Am I missing something?

E2: Here's a link to my test MDL. If someone can test it out and see if it works, I'd be very appreciative. http://rapidshare.com/files/160778662/g_shot.mdl.html
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

apply your fking modifiers
Muki Hyena

Post by Muki Hyena »

leileilol wrote:apply your fking modifiers
Sweet as hell, that worked. It looks perfect when I preview it in QME.

That fixes one problem. Thanks. Now about getting it in-game, anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm pretty sure I have the directory structure and file name set up properly, at least from what I've seen so far. Is there something else required for this to work?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

don't put it in id1/progs

put it in yourmod/progs
then load up quake

winquake -game yourmod

note if you use stock GLQuake, glquake generates mesh (ms2) files, so if one exists, it will use the old ms2 and make the model look like jumbled crap
Muki Hyena

Post by Muki Hyena »

Oh snap hella thanks for the help everyone I managed to get it in fully animated and scaled properly and everything.

Unfortunately the stock GLQuake couldn't handle the vertices so I had to download JoeQuake. If anybody knows anything better, hook me up eh?

Anyway I'm pretty happy with how this came out for a first Quake mod project, even though it eems like the engine toned down the level of detail on the model.

Next I'll have to learn some QC and get it to ACT like a pistol, lol.

Hella props to Leileilol for the tutorial, someone learned a thing or two from it.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Muki Hyena wrote: Unfortunately the stock GLQuake couldn't handle the vertices so I had to download JoeQuake. If anybody knows anything better, hook me up eh?
DarkPlaces
Muki Hyena

Post by Muki Hyena »

leetsauce, you are the MAN

E: Fixed up a bit and youtubed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=colQlTNjetk
Urre

Post by Urre »

Great work man, glad to see you got it all working! I must say I quite like your models, in some strange out of place fashion.

Anyhow, something you might want to try out, is to export them as md3 models, I think Blender has complete support for those nowadays. With md3 you get smoother animations without all the wobblyness, and more sane support for 24-bit color skins, especially now when you're using a *real* engine ;)
I was once a Quake modder
Muki Hyena

Post by Muki Hyena »

Urre wrote:Great work man, glad to see you got it all working! I must say I quite like your models, in some strange out of place fashion.

Anyhow, something you might want to try out, is to export them as md3 models, I think Blender has complete support for those nowadays. With md3 you get smoother animations without all the wobblyness, and more sane support for 24-bit color skins, especially now when you're using a *real* engine ;)
Hah I'll have to try that sometime, Unreal Engine 3 looks really interesting.

However for the moment I think I'll stick with the Quake 1 engine, seeing how flexible and portable *hint hint* it is. Make a few maps, all that stuff.

... Anybody have any links for messing around with replacing sounds and audio? LOL