Making a Quake MDL in Blender: for dummies, NOT TOTAL MORONS

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Karall

Post by Karall »

Sorry for sounding kinda dumb but i dont really understand... When i UV map i open the file in paint and start doing the texture, save it and put it into blender , what should i do diffirentley?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

The image needs to be smaller; more than that, width and height should be power of 2 values, like leileilol said. Pick the nearest size to your current values and adjust it - and please, pick something better than Paint. If you can't afford and don't want to pirate Photoshop, there is professional-level software like GIMP to download for free. Just forget about Paint. :)
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Karall

Post by Karall »

Well i managed to getting model into quake, but it just shows up as a little deformed grey box floating around in the air. How do i fix this? Sorry for all the questions but there isnt really any way to know this stuff, for me at least.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

try deleting the glquake folder under id1 and your test folder (actually, you can delete this folder from all mod folders if you're using any modern engine like Darkplaces).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Karall

Post by Karall »

Still a weirdly shaped box floating around
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Any screenshots ?
Karall

Post by Karall »

Sure ile have to take it with a real camera, becouse its weird other wise, ile do it sometime later today.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

If you have a little patience during this weekend I'll make a stub of a mini guide about exporting .dpm models from Blender into Darkplaces. I made a pledge that, if LordHavoc had helped me, I would have written a guide about that. He helped me.. so now I've no excuses ! :)
Seriously, I think Quake community modders NEED a lot of documentation and I would contribute a little
Karall

Post by Karall »

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/img2426q.jpg/ Thats one pic (Its late and i cant hold the camera still, sorry!)
http://img338.imageshack.us/i/img2429m.jpg/ -Thats when im walking. It goes up and down like between the two images.
If you want to check out my progress on the mod im making :http://www.moddb.com/mods/survivor-zombies.
Thanks for the help ile know ile get!!!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

You can take a in-game screenshot just pressing F12. No need of an actual camera. :)
Karall

Post by Karall »

I tried that but it just showed up as a bunch of weirdly colored dots on the screen... Im not THAT stupid :D So, can you help me officer?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

That's because you attempted to "print screen" a 8-bit color screen buffer which doesn't capture the palette to clipboard leaving you with a few dots so I recommend screenshotting the RIGHT WAY and using a paint program to convert the PCX files it produces into pngs or gifs or jpgs and show us them
i should not be here
Karall

Post by Karall »

Well you can see on the pics i took anyway.
Karall

Post by Karall »

But can you guys help me? Maybe it has something to do with weapon placement, i have no idea.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

From what I can see your model is really screwed. Can you open it in QME, QuArK or any other editor ?