Align model tags/helpers/etc in DP Models

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
SusanMDK

Align model tags/helpers/etc in DP Models

Post by SusanMDK »

So how do I align them in the model to get it show correctly ingame? All I get is model separated in 3 parts with 2 meter gaps between the parts. Even if I offset the models with "origin" in the text files for dpmodel.exe, the models are only correctly aligned when they're not animated and all parts have the same first frame of the model.

I had done this: Made a model, created a skeleton, attached it to the model, added two helpers, attached them to two bones. Export the model in 3 parts or 4 parts with one part being invisible and contain the helpers. In both cases, the result is the same: objects not together correctly.

Here's a picture of my model in 3dsmax. I added some text showing some coordinates of the objects in the model.

So I want to attach the head into the helper_head and torso to helper_torso. That just doesn't seem to work as expected! I spent whole yesterday trying to get it work, but everything I did: FAIL!
zbang!
Chris

Re: Align model tags/helpers/etc in DP Models

Post by Chris »

The reason there are gaps is because you're not thinking in model space. The head model there when exported is a meter up from the origin. What you want is tohave all the body parts since they're all relative to the origin to just default at the origin. The way you want to do it you'd have to put all those different model parts center of gravity at the 0 0 0 mark, (head where the pelvis is) then attach to the socket.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

This seems to work. But it's so weird. I removed my hidden bounding box as it was unuseful. The helper_torso is now part of legs.. helper_head now part of the torso.

If I want head to attach correctly to helper_torso.. then in all head animations helper_head must stay at 0 0 0. For all torso animations the helper_torso must stay at 0 0 0. But what about full body animations, like some death animation? This wouldn't work for them at all. I can already see that when I put all parts have the same animation frames.

So this way the only use for this would be for objects that only have 1 frame or something... like a weapon attached to hand.

edit: I sort of solved the problem by using the curve editor in max.. First I just animate everything as I've always used to animate. Then export legs. Then I reposition the model so helper_torso is at 0 0 0 and remove all rotation and position changes from all bones that would affect helper_torso's position. Then I export the torso and finally I do the same for helper_head and export head.

Still, I think it would be better if I didn't need to do all that..
zbang!