Easy way to color map a player skin?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
Baker

Easy way to color map a player skin?

Post by Baker »

I have a player skin I made. I'd like to properly colormap it for the shirt/pants color.

Do any easy ways exist to do this, or am I going to have to convert the image to grayscale and try adjusting the color until it comes close to match the appropriate color rows (I think 1 = pants and 6= shirt, I think without checking the rows) in the Quake palette?

Just seeing if there is an easier way of doing this before I embark on this process.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

open the model in QME, go to skin color editor, and substitute the colors you want to be the shirt and pants colors
Baker

Post by Baker »

I'll try that out. Wasn't aware of that feature. Thanks!
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Not sure if this is exactly what you want, but you can open the player.mdl in any editor (QME, Quark 4.07, etc) export the skin to a .pcx file and then extract the color palette with your favorite painting tool and use it to paint your own. Colors with index between 16 to 31 inclusive are for shirts, 96 to 111 are for pants.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)