ShoTro's Quake One Modeling thread

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
ShoTro

ShoTro's Quake One Modeling thread

Post by ShoTro »

I got this idea from conceptart.org, sort of like a sketch book but for modeling. The idea is that I should at least produce one pic 3-4 times a week. I meant to do this yesterday so I can do a Monday-Wednesday-Friday thing, but I already blew it. XD

Just have to play catchup already, but the idea is to post pics or links to models I am working on, then get critiques or tips on how to improve them.

Since I have been feeling burned out in real life I decided to start things off with something fun: Actually a challenge a friend gave me after showing him all the crappy Halo mods for the PSP, "I bet you can't do better!" "Oh yeah?"

So here you go, my model of a SPARTAN in Mark V MJOLNIR Armor... most commonly known incorrectly as "Master Chief" from Halo, even though Master Chief (John 117) was only one of many.

Image Image

Critiques and ideas suggested. Even about this thread existing.

Textured version of this model forthcoming.
Last edited by ShoTro on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Shoot everything that moves. When it stops moving shoot it again just for good measure.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Looking pretty good, quite identifiable even without being named, so I'd call that a success.

However the game is called Quake, not Quake One or Quake1 or Quake Classic or QuakeWorld ; ) Just good ol Quake
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

scar3crow wrote:However the game is called Quake, not Quake One or Quake1 or Quake Classic or QuakeWorld ; ) Just good ol Quake
Yeah, I know that, you know that, but I can't talk to my friends and say Quake, elsewise they tend to think Quake Wars or Quake 4. I get very very tired of explaining that there was, in fact, a first that was very much unlike what we have now.

Thanks for the praise though, I have identified a few points where I can reduce the poly limit a bit more, but that will have to wait a couple days as I have a much more polished model in store for tomorrow if I have time.
Shoot everything that moves. When it stops moving shoot it again just for good measure.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Looks good... now what about Master Chef?
zbang!
Urre

Post by Urre »

I likey, except for the head. Heads/faces are generally important for character recognition and believability, I wouldn't mind seeing you waste some polys on getting the face like it's in Halo or atleast somewhat closer to. Good job!
I was once a Quake modder
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

jim wrote:Looks good... now what about Master Chef?
If I am really bored, I can totally do that.
Urre wrote:I likey, except for the head. Heads/faces are generally important for character recognition and believability, I wouldn't mind seeing you waste some polys on getting the face like it's in Halo or atleast somewhat closer to. Good job!
Yeah, I am not too happy with the face, I know it juts out just a bit but I can't seem to get it right, I will start texturing and see what I can do visually, if it works as is or should I do more. I dropped about 40 verts this morning on the model, so adding to the face shouldn't be an issue, he looks more like an earlier Mark (III or IV?) then a Mark V right now.
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

too big, moved to a thumb at the top of the thread.
Last edited by ShoTro on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

cool doomguy mate
i should not be here
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

Visor area could use a little more definition, the visor doesn't connect exactly to the helmet there's a slight indent for the distinguishing effect for the point-of-connectivity. Do that and the model'll look a bit better imo. I like how you kept the top part of the helmet properly intact though.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Aah, and here's the Master Chef :twisted:
zbang!
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

RenegadeC wrote:Visor area could use a little more definition, the visor doesn't connect exactly to the helmet there's a slight indent for the distinguishing effect for the point-of-connectivity. Do that and the model'll look a bit better imo. I like how you kept the top part of the helmet properly intact though.
Yeah, didn't really notice that until I textured it. I am going to finish it as is first then go back to fix that if possible.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Haha, lookin' good there ShoTro! :wink:

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on the PM's yet, workload right now is absolutly horrid. :(

If things keep up like this, I probably won't have anything ready for qExpo... :cry:
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Haha, lookin' good there ShoTro! :wink:

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on the PM's yet, workload right now is absolutly horrid. :(

If things keep up like this, I probably won't have anything ready for qExpo... :cry:
Sok, I am working on something worth while that isn't a mod... but is something that will make a LOT of people happy. If I can get it to work.

Texture done!!! OMG, this almost killed me.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

what app are you using to make these?

are you thinking of animating and releasing?

are you going to include a gun in the model?

will the animations match quake's player.mdl animations?
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

Error wrote:what app are you using to make these?

are you thinking of animating and releasing?

are you going to include a gun in the model?

will the animations match quake's player.mdl animations?
If he keeps the bones intact I can really do some awesome work in a mod :P

Edit: I've coded a needler before, A Haloish mod would be cool.
Rebalancing the Quake universe versus a grenade throwing assault rifle using masterchief with enemy drops for guns would be fun; not realistic obviously since both universes are so damn different but I'd be fun to max my creativity ;)