Visible Weapons Help

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
c0burn

Visible Weapons Help

Post by c0burn »

So - I have the standard player.mdl, and a g_plasma.mdl, and I got into qme, and merge the g_plasma.mdl into player.mdl because I was to animate it on the quakeguy. The vertices get all fecked up, like so:

http://i.imgur.com/oLYGSfN.png

http://i.imgur.com/bJ54262.png

How do I fix this? What other ways of doing this are there? How did other people do it?
frag.machine

Re: Visible Weapons Help

Post by frag.machine »

That' because the weapon model don't have front and back sides, like the player.

There is no easy fix for that AFAIK. You may try to set all vertices to seam and then set individual triangles to front or back side (I don't know if QME has any way to do this, I would use QuArK 4.07 instead), but probably things will still look wrong.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
qbism

Post by qbism »

IIRC, someone did a qc mod years ago with manual positioning of visible weapons as separate models, but I couldn't find it with a google search. Painkeep 2 has visible weapons. Might need an engine with movetype_follow extension for it to work.

Otherwise will need to reanimate in Blender or some such.
JBallou

Post by JBallou »

It was simply called vwep, and it only had all 8 original weapons. It required changing the actual player model and syncing animation state, but worked well enough that it was probably my most popular mod.
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

frag.machine wrote:That' because the weapon model don't have front and back sides, like the player.

There is no easy fix for that AFAIK. You may try to set all vertices to seam and then set individual triangles to front or back side (I don't know if QME has any way to do this, I would use QuArK 4.07 instead), but probably things will still look wrong.
Pfft! It may be over a year later, but...

I've made a tool to convert two quake models into a single model.
This tool works where, for example qME does not, due to correctly supporting the texture coordinates for models that do or do not have backfacing triangles with onseam vertices.

Please read the enclosed readme.txt

I'd be interested in any feedback

https://mega.nz/#!g2w1kaRb!V2KX1gsn7vrV ... Gs4wya51X8
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Great! I'll check it out later.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)