player model size?

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
ceriux

player model size?

Post by ceriux »

okay so i been busting my ass on this player model ive been working on and finally test it in game... hes too big! in max i made a box that was a length of 64 a width of 32 and a height of 32. which equates to something like this..

i assumed this would be about the size of the player model in quake. i was wrong its probably double the size! as seen below!

as you can see hes probably more the size of the shambler..

if i were to scale him down in QME does anyone know by which amount would probably be correct?
Spike

Re: player model size?

Post by Spike »

should normally be +/ 16 in the x+y axes.
z should descend 24 units below the origin and 32 above.
really its just the -z one that needs to match exactly (so that your guy will stand on the ground properly), the others can have a decent amount of slop with no serious issues.

QME should report these sizes somewhere, with units in actual QU, so just check what qme says and scale/move accordingly.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

thanks spike , in qme i changed the 1 in the scale options to .5 this is what i got...

it seems to be much better. i might add a decimal of scale. as for those numbers you gave me. that will help a lot! ill be sure to use those on future models.
it will save me re-scaling everything.

edit: actually i tested in multiplayer and that was WAY too small . after testing again the size i have my player model is just about right,
i think i had to change the scale 1 to scale .9 in x y and z.
however what was giving me the weird giant affect is that he was floating! so i changed the "eye position" of the models properties in qme to that of the standard quake guys " x -6 , y 0, z -24 " and this was the true fix! figured id update and post it here incase anyone else has similar issues in the future.

frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

player height = 56 qu. Don't know how it will translate to blender tho.
You can always open the original player.mdl and your replacement in QuArK or QME and visually compare.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spike

Post by Spike »

quake's scale is just generally wrong - everything is larger on the x+y axis than the z axis, which makes getting things scaled properly quite awkward (hence why later games used a total height of 72 instead of 56).
so yes, next to a grunt your player model will look like a stick figure.

you can get away with making the model taller than 56qu, but be aware that the player hull won't change sizes. a taller model's head will pass through walls when walking through small passageways (assuming the floor is aligned properly such that their feet are not going through too).
its rare to have passageways <64, but I wouldn't personally risk making a player model taller than that (ignoring multiplayer and attempts at headshots, obviously).
monsters are a different matter - mappers are more able to control the areas that such over-tall monsters can be found, so its much less of a problem for those models.

but yeah, ultimately, quake models should be a bit bulky if they're to feel at home alongside the existing models.
Madfox

Post by Madfox »

First time I added a model to Quake it turned backwards.
What size measure assumes I take my benefit on Quark4.07.
It has degrees to relate to and make positioning a lot easier.

Qmle is rather hard to obtain as there is only a ground grid.
And although positioning in Quark is a bit kinky,
it's easier to pick up clipnodes.

Fun model ceriux.

:cool: